From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Communiqué from the House of Bishops of the Church of Nigeria

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:07:45 -0800

ACNS 4237 | NIGERIA | 15 JANUARY 2007

Communiqué from the House of Bishops of the Church of Nigeria

A Communiqué issued at the episcopal retreat held at the Ibru Anglican Retreat Centre, Agbarha Otor, Delata State Nigeria

The House of Bishops of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) with 93 participants met for their annual Retreat at the Ibru Retreat Centre, Agbarha Otor, from 8th -13th January, 2007, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, with the Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria (Anglican Communion), the Most Revd Peter J. Akinola, DD, CON presiding. The Bishops deliberated extensively on the theme, 'Empowered Leadership' and came up with the conviction that leadership is a trust from God which must be exercised in a responsible manner for the good of the people and the glory of God, bearing in mind that all who hold leadership positions will one day give an account of their stewardship to God. During the retreat several sessions were devoted to intensive spiritual rejuvenation and reflection after which the following communiqué was issued:

The Cornerstones of Leadership

We believe that the cornerstones of good leadership include honesty, integrity, sacrifice, selflessness, and accountability. We therefore call on our leaders to ensure that such qualities guide their conduct in and out of office bearing in mind the judgment of posterity. We strongly reject the prevailing conception of power as an avenue for personal enrichment.

Lambeth 2008

We stand by our earlier endorsement of the recommendations of the Council of Anglican Provinces in Africa (CAPA) document: "The Road to Lambeth" and maintain the posture that we cannot claim to share fellowship with member-Provinces that denigrate the authority of Scripture on the life of the Church. Our participation in this worldwide fellowship is contingent on genuine repentance by those who have chosen to walk away, for two cannot walk together except they are in agreement. Christian unity must be anchored on Biblical truth.

The Bishops are delighted that the Convocation of Anglicans in North America (CANA) - an outreach initiative of the Church of Nigeria is taking giant strides. Worthy of special mention also is the success story of the Church of Nigeria Missionary Society outreaches to other parts of world. We therefore reaffirm our commitment to the Great Commission, which is the primary reason for the election of 19 new Bishops for newly created missionary dioceses in different parts of the country.

INEC and the 2007 General Elections

The Church is deeply worried by the uncertainties and obvious signs of unpreparedness that have trailed such a vital exercise as the registration and revalidation of voters for the 2007 General Elections at this stage of our democratic experience. We urge INEC and all security operatives to be alert to the confidence reposed on them by Nigerians and the watching world, to ensure that a peaceful, free and fair election is conducted, and the verdict of the electorate at the polls is held sacred. We also urge all political office seekers, their supporters, and indeed all Nigerians to shun every form of violence resulting from desperation; and they should use their votes with sense of responsibility and God-consciousness to bequeath an enduring legacy of freedom to future generations.

Open Conflict between the President and the Vice President

We consider it an embarrassment to the image of our nation that the two top citizens should engage in such open mudslinging without regard to their high offices, their personalities, their party, and the overall interest of our nation. We call on the Press to bear in mind their social responsibility in the manner of reporting these issues, since they are major stakeholders in the development of this nation. We also urge restraint and mature conduct by both the chief actors and their supporters to spare this country further embarrassment.

Party Primaries

We have observed with grave concern, the widespread outcry alleging a subtle rape of democratic processes in the recently concluded primaries at all levels in most political parties in many parts of the country. Any likelihood of such a scenario of blatant injustices, could, if not promptly redressed, portend grave consequences for the forth-coming general elections. While we watch and pray, we call on all well-meaning Nigerians at home and abroad to engage legitimate means to resist any attempt at derailing the ongoing political process. We cannot afford a replay of our historical misadventures at this stage of our nascent democracy. We may expect to see gallant winners and losers only when fair play is assured. We believe God Himself will oppose all who attempt to tamper with His plans for this nation. We call on all Nigerians to intensify prayers for successful elections.

The Judiciary and the 2007 General Elections

The performance of the Judiciary in the spate of impeachment proceedings in recent times has left serious dents on the esteemed integrity of that arm of government. For the judiciary to remain the last hope of the common man rather than the ass of respectable criminals, the remedial action of suspension meted out to some judges by the Nigerian Judicial Commission over their inglorious roles must be applauded, implemented, and sustained as a deterrent to others. We urge the Federal Government to beef up the security around these guardians of the laws of the land.

Security in the Nation

We commend the police for their effort in combating the increasing crime wave to the extent of paying the supreme price in some cases. However, we call on the Federal Government to sustain even more vigorously the fight against insecurity of lives and property in the land. The incessant cases of armed robbery in banks, and private residences, as well as hired assassinations in different settings are indicative of the security rating of our nation.

Poverty in the Land

The Bishops are disturbed by the prevalence of poverty in the midst of plenty in our nation so richly blessed by God. That the poverty level has remained high in spite of various poverty alleviation programmes of the present administration is a matter for much concern. We urge all poverty alleviation agencies to ensure that necessary steps are taken to open up the opportunities afforded by these programmes to more people especially the youth as a way of engaging them positively thereby reducing the crime rate and the propensity for violence in the land. Efforts should be made to ensure that the money voted for this does not get into the hands of fraudsters and impostors.

The Safety of the Nigerian Air Space

We are gratified by the recent steps taken by both the Federal Government and the National Assembly to ensure the safety of the Nigerian Air Space and we call on all major players in the aviation industry in Nigeria to ensure that the highest ethical and professional standards are kept in order to put the carnage of our air disasters permanently behind us.

EFCC, ICPC

We commend the present administration for taking the fight against high-profile looting of public funds to unprecedented levels. However, we strongly appeal that care should be taken to ensure that the business of these bodies are conducted dispassionately, and that lasting solutions are proffered.

Oil Bunkering and attendant Casualties

We express our profound condolences to the families of the victims of the recent pipeline vandalization and explosions, the Lagos State government and indeed the Federal Government. We urge the Federal Government to take urgent and decisive steps to track down and prosecute all these notorious enemies of the State who engage in oil bunkering which has become too costly for our nation. We plead with those who may be attracted by the tempting opportunities for making quick money through bunkering to resist such temptations.

Conclusion

Now unto Him who is able to keep us from falling and preserve all that has been committed to Him, the Immortal, Invisible and only wise God we commit our dear Nation.

The Most Revd. Peter J. Akinola, CON, D.D.

Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria

___________________________________________________________________ ACNSlist, published by Anglican Communion News Service, London, is distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around the world.

For subscription INFORMATION please go to: