From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AJC Radio Message: Honor Martin Luther King's Vision

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:30:03 -0500

AJC Radio Message: Honor Martin Luther King's Vision

January 17, 2007 - New York - American Jewish Committee Executive Director David A. Harris, in his national radio commentary, commemorates Martin Luther King, Jr. "Dr. King's vision should be with us year-round," says Harris.

Harris delivers weekly messages on the CBS radio network, airing during the Osgood File. All AJC radio commentaries since 2001 are available at www.ajc.org.

The full text of this week's commentary follows:

We just marked Martin Luther King Day.

Dr. King's vision should be with us year-round.

Remember his stirring words at the Lincoln Memorial: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

We've come a long way since then. But there's more to do.

We at AJC were honored to give Dr. King our highest award in 1965. He declared then: "Yes . we shall overcome because the arc of a moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

He also denounced anti-Semitism and praised AJC's civil rights work as early as 1911-"when," as he said, "few men dared to speak out."

We've been at it ever since.

With hatred and intolerance still alive, we should all heed Dr. King's plea to be "our brother's keeper" and never to "become a nation of onlookers."

Visit us at ajc.org.

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org