From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Reclaim the Bible, Barbara Rossing tells Trinity Institute

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:41:54 -0500

Episcopal News Service January 23, 2007

Reclaim the Bible, Barbara Rossing tells Trinity Institute

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] Christians need to address apocalyptic questions because there is a sense of an end right now in our culture, the Rev. Barbara R. Rossing, Th.D., told Trinity Institute's 37th national theological conference on January 23.

Rossing, professor of New Testament at the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago, is the author of "The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in The Book of Revelation." She has lectured, preached, and published widely.

This year's gathering, offered by Trinity Church (http://www.trinitywallstreet.org), concludes on January 24.

In her presentation, Rossing said the "whole notion of apocalypse, of catastrophic future scenarios and end times is so prominent on our culture radar screen these days."

The new Christian video game, "Left Behind: Eternal Forces," invites players to "command your forces through intense battles across a breathtaking authentic depiction of New York City; recover ancient scriptures and witness spectacular angelic and demonic activity as a direct consequence of your choices," she said.

"Ads for the game online show gun-wielding soldiers marching here in New York City, helicopters floating overhead and people being killed all accompanied by the music of 'Amazing Grace,'" she said.

She asked, "is this how 'God's Unfinished Future' is about to end - right here in New York as ancient scriptures come to life?"

"No, I think this theology is nuts and that we must say no to the 'Left Behind' fictional version."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81535_ENG_HTM.htm