From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AJC Urges White House, Congress to Find Common Ground on Energy Security

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:22:52 -0500

AJC Urges White House, Congress to Find Common Ground on Energy Security

January 23, 2007 - New York - The American Jewish Committee welcomed tonight the positive remarks of President Bush in his State of the Union address on the urgent need to reduce America?s dependence on oil from hostile nations.   The full AJC statement follows:

"For more than three decades the American Jewish Committee has called on our political leaders to confront America?s dangerous and unhealthy addiction to foreign oil. We truly hope that 2007 will be the year of landmark decision-making on energy independence.   "We salute President Bush for declaring, in his State of the Union address, a commitment to reduce our nation?s gasoline consumption, and we look to the Administration and Congress to find common ground on concrete initiatives that will diversify our energy supply while protecting the environment.   "AJC looks forward to working with the Administration and the Congress in realizing the goal of energy security. AJC will continue its own contributions, which currently include an incentive program encouraging AJC employees to purchase hybrid cars."

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org