From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[NCC News] Faithful Americans see different State of the Union

From "Daniel Webster" <dwebster@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:48:32 -0500

Faithful Americans see different State of the Union

Washington, D.C., January 24, 2007--"Permanent war for permanent peace is not acceptable. Continuing to foster a permanent war economy is morally bankrupt...and the world knows it," wrote Jef Schultz, one of those who contributed to the "Faithful State of the Union."

"It's high time to change course and work towards interdependence, mutual respect, interpersonal and social justice, respect for ethics and spirituality as well as immediate ecological restoration of this wounded planet. We can do this simply because we are able to...and because of what has been done for us," wrote Schultz.

The "Faithful State of the Union" address was compiled by FaithfulAmerica.org, the online advocacy community of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA. Most of the Faithful America posts were a sharp contrast to the actual State of the Union address in which President Bush called upon Congress to give his plans to increase the number of troops in Iraq a chance to work.

"America can be the world's leader in peaceful initiatives-if we are willing to follow Christ's footsteps and live peacefully ourselves," wrote an anonymous poster. "What does this mean? It means we no longer resort to war and violence as a cornerstone of our international policy. It means we will not allow millions of our fellow citizens to suffer crippling poverty while a small minority live in conspicuous luxury. It means we will lead the world in protecting and preserving unborn life. It means we will set the world standard for protecting the natural world God created for us."

There were more than 100 online writers who added their view of our nation in the five days the site was available for contributions.

"Our nation's proposed troop escalation in Iraq ignores the advice of key advisers, career military officers, and the clear will of the American people," wrote contributor Brandon Wilson. "Rather than sending more troops to Iraq, the U.S. needs to engage in regional diplomacy and prepare for a transition to Iraqi control of the country's security."

While President Bush made no mention of Hurricane Katrina relief, several contributors referred to rebuilding the Gulf Coast and New Orleans including this anonymous post: "The state of our union regarding New Orleans and the Gulf Cost is a real disgrace, in the full meaning of that word. There were promises made and not kept. The despair and shame throughout America is palpable. Until we can heal the wounds of New Orleans, no one can hold their head up high. 'I was hungry and you fed me, I was naked and you clothed me.'"

Vince Isner, director, FaithfulAmerica.org, set up the blog and invited the website's 100,000 registered members to contribute.

"Our leaders in Washington would do well to read these deep and moving comments by people of faith and conscience," said Isner. "The diversity of thought and the unity of hearts in seeking a more loving and just society reflect the power of faith in public life."

The complete view of the "Faithful State of the Union" is available at www.FaithfulAmerica.org.

"I am moved, though not surprised, by the thoughtful and passionate responses of so many faithful Americans across our nation," said Isner. "Anyone inside or outside the beltway who believes that our faith doesn't have a word to say about the issues before us should simply read the moving reflections of this very diverse and progressive group of Americans."

The NCC is America's ecumenical voice of 35 member Orthodox, Protestant, Anglican, historic African American and traditional peace churches. Those denominations combined have 45 million members in 100,000 congregations in all 50 states.

---

FaithfulAmerica.org contact: Vince Isner, 202.481.6929, visner@faithfulamerica.org. NCC News contact: Dan Webster, 212.870.2252, NCCnews@ncccusa.org. Latest NCC News at www.councilofchurches.org.