From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: National Ministries Employees Contribute School Supplies To Gulf Coast Area Hit By Hurricane

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:59:48 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 01/24/07)-Students at two elementary schools in a hurricane-ravaged area of Mississippi were the recipients of school kits recently assembled and sent by National Ministries employees.

Nearly 1,200 of the school kits, containing much-needed items such as notebooks, pencils, pens, rulers, glue and crayons, were sent to the Pass Christian/Delisle Elementary Schools in Pass Christian, Miss. and Charles B. Murphy/Gulf View Elementary Schools in Kiln, Miss.

The project was part of National Ministries' continuing commitment to address the needs of children affected by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. National Ministries employees, friends, colleagues, and family members have contributed over $2,500 to date toward the cost of the kits, estimated at $9 each. National Ministries provided matching funds for the project.

Dr. Laura Miraz, National Ministries' associate executive director for Board and Staff Services, praised the efforts made by the entire National Ministries staff in the project. "As we stood around tables assembling the school kits," Miraz said, "we imagined the challenges still faced by children in the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. There is much yet to be done, and we are thankful for the opportunity to serve."

In a prayer of dedication offered before shipping the kits, the Rev. Marilyn Turner, National Ministries' associate executive director for Program Ministries, contemplated the thought that the school bags might be used by future pastors, doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, construction workers, law enforcement professionals, business owners, and perhaps even a president of the United States. "We can be sure of one thing: God loves each and every one of these children," Turner said.

Administrators at the two schools were overjoyed by the generosity of National Ministries employees, said Victoria Goff, national coordinator of Volunteer Ministries. "This is a welcome surprise and a true blessing to our children," said Ramona Berry, a principal at Pass Christian/Delisle. "As we continue to rebuild our communities, we are grateful for God's people who respond to the needs of others, especially when it is to assist our children."

The children themselves expressed their gratitude in letters. "Thank you for the nice book bags and supplies. That was a good deed," wrote Courtney. "I didn't have scissors, a notebook, or crayons before you sent these bags, and now I do," wrote Emily.

Volunteers, monetary contributions, and prayer support for hurricane relief are all urgently needed on an ongoing basis from American Baptist local churches and regions. Contact Victoria Goff, national coordinator of Volunteer Ministries, for details: (800) 222-3872, ext. 2449, or e-mail Victoria.Goff@abc-usa.org.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/