From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC among religious leaders calling for renewed Israel/Palestine peace initiative

From "Daniel Webster" <dwebster@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:03:40 -0500

NCC among religious leaders calling for renewed Israel/Palestine peace initiative

Washington, D.C., January 24, 2007--Nearly 40 leaders of a broad coalition of Christian denominations have sent a letter to President George Bush asking that he "make Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking, in the context of a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace initiative" an "urgent priority" for his administration.

Among those signing the letter were the Rev. Michael Livingston, president, National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) and executive director of the International Council of Community Churches, one of the NCC's 35 member denominations, and the Rev. Bob Edgar, general secretary of the NCC.

"Even though we are from a wide range of Christian traditions -- Orthodox, Catholic, mainstream and evangelical Protestants -- we stand close together in our hopes and prayers for peace in the land we all call Holy and for the reconciliation of the children of Abraham -- Jews, Christians and Muslims," says the letter to the president (complete text follows).

"We commend your vision of a viable, contiguous Palestinian state living as a peaceful neighbor alongside the state of Israel, with both nations secure and recognized by their neighbors," says the letter which was sent to the White House yesterday.  "With your active engagement, this vision could reignite a passion for peace that can overcome the appeal of violence, vengeance and exclusivity."

The leaders also expressed great concern for the Palestinian Christian community.

"The Palestinian Christian leaders have asked us to bring to your attention the very grave situation of Jerusalem," state the U.S. Christian leaders.  "With the construction by Israel of the separation barrier, many of the faithful -- both Christians and Muslims -- are excluded from the Holy City, and Jerusalem is severed from Bethlehem."

The letter was initiated by Churches for Middle East Peace, an advocacy group of nearly two dozen denominations seeking a non-violent solution in Israel and Palestine.

---

Churches for Mideast Peace contact:  Corinne Whitlatch, 202.543.1222, cmep@cmep.org. NCC News contact:  Dan Webster, 212.870.2252, NCCnews@ncccusa.org. Latest NCC News at www.councilofchurches.org.

---

January 23, 2007

The Honorable George W. Bush The White House Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President,

As leaders of churches and Christian institutions in the United States, we bring you greetings for the New Year and encouragement as you meet the challenges that face our nation and the global community. Even though we are from a wide range of Christian traditions -- Orthodox, Catholic, mainstream and evangelical Protestants -- we stand close together in our hopes and prayers for peace in the land we all call Holy and for the reconciliation of the children of Abraham -- Jews, Christians and Muslims.

We come to you with two interrelated appeals that are central to our faith-motivated quest for peace with justice. First, we ask that you make Israeli-Palestine peace making, in the context of a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace initiative, an urgent priority for your Administration. We recognize the great many difficulties and struggles that the people of the Middle East region must confront and the heavy responsibilities that fall upon you to help restore hope for a better future for them and for the citizens of the United States. We know that many view the Israeli-Palestinian situation as the most intractable in our troubled world, but we know that when it is resolved, the positive repercussions will go well beyond that small geographic area.

We commend your vision of a viable, contiguous Palestinian state living as a peaceful neighbor alongside the state of Israel, with both nations secure and recognized by their neighbors. With your active engagement, this vision could reignite a passion for peace that can overcome the appeal of violence, vengeance and exclusivity. The United States and the world will become safer as confidence grows that the U.S. is willing to take leadership and work cooperatively with the United Nations and other nations to resolve this conflict.

We bring to you our deepening concern for the welfare and future of the Palestinian Christian community. A small but vital part of the Palestinian society, Christians are rapidly emigrating to countries where they can gain the economic and physical security that is denied all Palestinians living under occupation. The future of the Palestinian Christians requires a solution to the conflict that will allow both peoples -- Israelis and Palestinians -- to live side-by-side in two states where all enjoy justice, peace and security.

The Palestinian Christian leaders have asked us to bring to your attention the very grave situation of Jerusalem. They remind us that Jerusalem is the location of "not only historical memories and sacred places of pilgrimage, but also living communities of believers." With the construction by Israel of the separation barrier, many of the faithful -- both Christians and Muslims -- are excluded from the Holy City, and Jerusalem is severed from Bethlehem. Our second appeal is for you to work with Israelis, Palestinians and the international community to guarantee access to Jerusalem's Holy Places and religious liberty for all peoples. Resolving the status of Jerusalem is key to achieving a workable two-state solution.

Mr. President, as this New Year begins, we encourage you to maintain the faith, the courage and the resolve to work with other world leaders toward negotiations that guarantee two viable and secure states, Israel and Palestine, living side-by-side and sharing Jerusalem. For guidance we look to the examples of the great prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah who declared that God calls all nations and all people to do justice to one another. We join in praying for peace in the Holy Land and at home.

Sincerely,   The Most Rev. Archbishop Barsamian Primate, Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern)

+Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos Ecumenical Officer Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Bishop Thomas G. Wenski Chairman, Committee on Int'l Policy U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops   The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori Presiding Bishop The Episcopal Church

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson     Presiding Bishop Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Are joined by:

The Rt. Rev. Wayne Burkette President, Provincial Elders' Conference Moravian Church in America, Southern Province

Simone Campbell, SSS Executive Director NETWORK Tony Campolo Founder, Evangelical Association for the Promotion of Education

Sister Mary Dacey, SSJ President Leadership Conference of Women Religious

Marie Dennis Director Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns

Rev. Robert Edgar

General Secretary National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA

Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson General Secretary Reformed Church in America

Ken Hackett President Catholic Relief Services

Rev. Dr. Stan Hastey Executive Director Alliance of Baptists

Bishop Janice Riggle Huie President, Council of Bishops The United Methodist Church

Very Rev. Dominic Izzo, OP

President, Catholic Conference of  Major Superiors of Men's Institutes

Rev. Phillip L. Jones Director, Washington Office Church of the Brethren

Rev. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick Stated Clerk of the General Assembly Presbyterian Church (USA)

Rev. Michael E. Livingston

Executive Director, International Council of Community Churches President, National Council of Churches

Albert C. Lobe Interim Executive Director Mennonite Central Committee

E. Earl McCloud, Jr. Bishop Office of Ecumenical & Urban Affairs African Methodist Episcopal Church

Rev. John L. McCullough Executive Director & CEO Church World Service

Mary Ellen McNish General Secretary American Friends Service Committee

A. Roy Medley General Secretary American Baptist Churches U.S.A.

Richard J. Mouw President Fuller Seminary

David Neff Editor and Vice-President Christianity Today

Leonard Rodgers

Executive Director Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding

Br. Mark Schroeder, OFM

President, Franciscan Friars (OFM) English Speaking Conference JPIC Council

Metropolitan PHILIP (Saliba) Primate Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Ambassador Robert A. Seiple

Former Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom

Ronald J. Sider President Evangelicals for Social Action

Rev. William G. Sinkford President Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

Msgr. Robert L. Stern Secretary General, CNEWA President, Pontifical Mission for Palestine

The Rev. John H. Thomas General Minister and President United Church of Christ

Joe Volk Executive Secretary Friends Committee on National Legislation

Jim Wallis CEO Sojourners/Call to Renewal

The Rev. Dr. Sharon E. Watkins General Minister and President Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Corinne Whitlatch

Executive Director Churches for Middle East Peace

Bishop Gabino Zavala Bishop President Pax Christi USA: National Catholic Peace Movement