From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] The future can be filled with hope, Moltmann and Gomes tell Trinity Institute

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:31:38 -0500

Episcopal News Service January 24, 2007

The future can be filled with hope, Moltmann and Gomes tell Trinity Institute

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] The 37th Trinity Institute National Theological Conference (http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/education/?institute-2007) concluded January 24 with presentations by Jürgen Moltmann and Peter Gomes on the conference theme of "God's Unfinished Future: Why it Matters Now."

The Institute is offered by Trinity Church and St. Paul's Chapel (http://www.trinitywallstreet.org) in New York City.

Jürgen Moltmann spoke on the theme "The Final Judgment: Sunrise of Christ's Liberating Justice"

Moltmann, emeritus professor of theology at Tübingen University, Germany, is widely considered to be one of the most important theologians of the last 50 years. Moltmann has been committed to the unceasing exploration he calls "the adventure of theological ideas.

Peter Gomes spoke on the theme "Can We Afford a Positive Future?"

Gomes is Pusey Minister in the Memorial Church at Harvard University and Plummer Professor of Christian Morals. He has written several books and published collections of sermons.

Moltmann argued during his presentations on January 23 and 24 that Christians need to "rethink our expectations of the final judgment," arguing that western Christianity and all of society has been infused with images of a world-ending apocalypse centered on retribution for evil-doers and unbelievers.

Those who anticipate the end of the world live in the long evening of death and anticipate the final night, he said, rather than living in the hope of the resurrection and anticipating the final morning. They postulate a "glorious end" to the earth rather than anticipating the "beginning of eternal liveliness" on earth.

"If we live in God's unfinished future, we're looking forward and greeting the coming morning -- every coming morning -- in the light of the coming day" of God's new creation on earth, he said.

The conference's theme was a timely one, Gomes said, because it attempted to help people catch up on a conversation -- indeed a fascination -- with the end times that has been going on in the culture for a long time. To counter doomsday visions, Gomes offered a view of the gospel of hope.

Full story and photographs: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81606_ENG_HTM.htm