From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop among religious leaders calling for renewed Israel/Palestine peace initiative

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:29:38 -0500

Episcopal News Service January 25, 2007

Presiding Bishop among religious leaders calling for renewed Israel/Palestine peace initiative

Letter asks President Bush to make Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking an 'urgent priority'

[ENS, Source: National Council of Churches] Nearly 40 leaders of a broad coalition of Christian denominations sent a letter to President George W. Bush on January 23 asking that he "make Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking, in the context of a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace initiative" an "urgent priority" for his administration.

Among those signing the letter were Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori; the Rev. Michael Livingston, president of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) and executive director of the International Council of Community Churches, one of the NCC's 35 member denominations; and the Rev. Bob Edgar, general secretary of the NCC.

"Even though we are from a wide range of Christian traditions -- Orthodox, Catholic, mainstream and evangelical Protestants -- we stand close together in our hopes and prayers for peace in the land we all call Holy and for the reconciliation of the children of Abraham -- Jews, Christians and Muslims," says the letter to the president (complete text follows).

"We commend your vision of a viable, contiguous Palestinian state living as a peaceful neighbor alongside the state of Israel, with both nations secure and recognized by their neighbors," says the letter. "With your active engagement, this vision could reignite a passion for peace that can overcome the appeal of violence, vengeance and exclusivity."

The leaders also expressed concern for the Palestinian Christian community.

"The Palestinian Christian leaders have asked us to bring to your attention the very grave situation of Jerusalem," state the U.S. Christian leaders. "With the construction by Israel of the separation barrier, many of the faithful -- both Christians and Muslims -- are excluded from the Holy City, and Jerusalem is severed from Bethlehem."

The letter was initiated by Churches for Middle East Peace (http://www.cmep.org/), an advocacy group of nearly two dozen denominations seeking a non-violent solution in Israel and Palestine.

The full text of the letter is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81652_ENG_HTM.htm