From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Retired missionary and her daughter killed in Kenya carjacking

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:12:46 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

======================================= This story located at http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07055.htm

07055 January 29, 2007

Retired missionary and her daughter killed in Kenya carjacking

Lois Anderson and huband, Bill, served 40 years in Africa

by Pat Cole World Mission communications officer

LOUISVILLE - A retired Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) missionary and her daughter were killed in a carjacking Saturday, Jan. 27, in Kenya.

Lois Anderson, former PC(USA) missionary in Africa, and her daughter, Zelda White, were shot in a village just a few miles outside the capital city of Nairobi, according to Doug Welch, the PC(USA)'s area coordinator for Africa.

The carjackers escaped with the vehicle but soon abandoned it. Two of them were later killed by police, according to international news reports.

White lived with her husband in Kenya, and the Andersons had traveled to the east Africa nation from their South Carolina home for a family gathering, Welch said.

The Andersons served as PC(USA) missionaries for more than four decades in Sudan and Kenya. They spent their honeymoon in 1951 at language school preparing for mission service.

"The Andersons are known across east Africa for their decades of service to the church, especially in the area of theological education," Welch said. "They are known through much of the PC(USA) for their unending commitment to God's mission and their selfless presentation of the work that God called them to."

"The mission community is an extended family and the family shares deep grief over this tragic news," said Welch, a former PC(USA) missionary in Africa. "We remember with gratitude the selfless service Lois has given together with Bill."

"Lois was a gracious woman who was always smiling," he continued "She was a humble servant. We are deeply saddened by the death of Lois and Zelda. We pray that the Holy Spirit will surround and care for the whole family."

Will Browne, co-leader of the PC(USA)'s World Mission program area, described the Andersons' service as "an expression of God's love and grace for our church partners in east Africa and all people."

Linda Valentine, executive director of the PC(USA)'s General Assembly Council, said she joins countless Presbyterians across the country who are grieving the tragedy.

"We pray that the family will experience God's unfailing love and strength in this time of loss," she said.