From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Anglican Communion leaders to meet in Tanzania

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:13:21 -0500

Episcopal News Service January 31, 2007

Anglican Communion leaders to meet in Tanzania

Presiding Bishop looks forward to Primates' collaboration

[Anglican Communion News Service] The Primates of the worldwide Anglican Communion will gather for their regularly scheduled meeting February 14-19, 2007, in Jangwani Beach near Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.

There are 38 Primates (senior bishops, Presiding Bishops, Moderators) of the Anglican Communion. The Primates come together from the geographic Anglican Provinces around the world. The Archbishop of Canterbury chairs the meetings with the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon, secretary general of the Anglican Communion, serving as secretary.

As "primus inter pares" -- first among equals -- the Archbishop of Canterbury gathers his fellow Primates together for Bible study, worship and conversation on the current state of affairs and mission in the global church. Archbishop Rowan Williams has stated that he is looking to the Primates for guidance on matters relating to the Lambeth Conference 2008 as well as looking at the Episcopal Church's response to the Windsor Report, in light of a special report to be discussed from a sub-committee of the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) and Primates Standing Committee. There will also be reports on the Panel of Reference and The Listening Process. Also on the agenda is the welcoming of Hellen Wangusa of Uganda as the new Anglican Observer at the United Nations in New York. She will be installed at services in New York at Trinity Church, Wall Street, and in Zanzibar Cathedral.

New primates will be welcomed from several provinces, including Aotearoa, New Zealand & Polynesia; Australia; Brazil; Burundi; Hong Kong; Indian Ocean; Ireland; Japan; Korea; Scotland; Southeast Asia and the United States.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81880_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Presiding Bishop looks forward to Primates' collaboration

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has underscored her commitment to the collaborative work of the Anglican Primates' Meeting, set for February 14-19 near Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.

"Our shared work as Primates of the Anglican Communion is strategic for addressing hunger, poverty, and preventable disease around the world, and I especially look forward to collaborating on initiatives related to the Millennium Development Goals," Jefferts Schori said. "There is much we can achieve together in building the Reign of God, but it will require us to see that God's larger purposes transcend our internal differences. That willingness to trust in God's leading despite our own fears and divisions is the trust Jesus showed us. May we seek to follow in his road."

In other news, ENS has confirmed that three U.S. bishops have been invited to meet with the Archbishop of Canterbury for a consultation in Tanzania prior to the opening of the official Primates' Meeting agenda.

Those bishops are Robert Duncan of Pittsburgh, who is convener of the Network of Anglican Communion Dioceses and Parishes (NACDAP), a consortium endorsed by some 10 of the Episcopal Church's 110 dioceses; Christopher Epting of the Episcopal Church Center in New York, who is the Presiding Bishop's Deputy for Ecumenical and Interfaith Affairs; and Bruce MacPherson of Western Louisiana, who, among other ministries, is president of the Presiding Bishop's Council of Advice.

From Tanzania, ENS will carry regular reports written by international correspondent Matthew

Davies and ENS director Robert Williams, who was editor of the daily newspaper of the 1998 Lambeth Conference.