From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Mission: Episcopal Urban Caucus to meet in North Carolina / Catalyst: Lent & Easter Package 20

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:26:18 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Monday, February 5, 2007, in Epiphany. The Church calendar remembers The Martyrs of Japan (1597).

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1873, St. John's Episcopal Church in Logan, Utah, was founded. http://home.earthlink.net/~stjohnsepiscopal/history.htm

- - -

Diocesan Digest

PITTSBURGH: Bishop Duncan reveals appeal for oversight to Global South Primates http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81984_ENG_HTM.htm

VIRGINIA: Police arrest alleged Truro Church vandal http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81990_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_19507_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

People

Daniel R. Heischman appointed executive director of National Association of Episcopal Schools http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82010_ENG_HTM.htm

Gary Dorrien named Union Theological Seminary's Reinhold Niebuhr Professor of Social Ethics http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82012_ENG_HTM.htm

More People news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78001_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Mission: Episcopal Urban Caucus to meet in North Carolina February 7-10

Presiding Bishop among keynote speakers

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] The 27th Assembly of the Episcopal Urban Caucus (EUC) will meet February 7-10 at the Holiday Inn Brownstone, in Raleigh, North Carolina, under the theme "Making the Contacts: Locally and Globally."

The gathering will focus on resolutions on slavery and reconciliation passed at the Episcopal Church's 75th General Convention.

Keynote speakers, who will speak on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the topic of Truth and Reconciliation, will include Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori; Bonnie Anderson, president of the House of Deputies; and the Rev. Nelson Johnson, pastor of Faith Community Church.

"We are hoping that the messages our speakers bring will say something about the MDGs," said Nell Braxton Gibson, EUC coordinator. "We are also hoping that in this time of war, they will say something about our role in terms of peace."

Johnson, known as a visionary and community organizer for racial and economic justice both in North Carolina and nationally, will deliver the first address, responding to issues of racism and providing an update on the work of Greensboro, North Carolina's Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The commission grew out of the November 3, 1979 incident when Johnson and 10 others were wounded and four people were killed when members of the local community, Ku Klux Klan and American Nazi party clashed at a "Death to the Klan" demonstration.

"Greensboro, North Carolina has, as far as we know, the only Truth and Reconciliation group in the country," said Gibson. "It is modeled after the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa and has been holding public hearings since 2005 based on the 1979 shooting because they felt that justice had not been served."

Participants will also view the documentary "Traces of the Trade: A Story from the Deep North," a feature documentary that tells the story of the DeWolf family, the largest slave-trading family in US history and also a prominent part of the Episcopal Church in Rhode Island. James DeWolf Perry was the 18th Presiding Bishop.

In the film, Katrina Browne, a DeWolf descendant and producer and director of the documentary, narrates while cameras follow her and nine family members in retracing the route of the "Triangle Trade" in slaves, rum, sugar and other goods between Rhode Island, Ghana, Cuba and back to Rhode Island. Browne and family address complex issues of atonement and reconciliation during the journey.

The Assembly will also feature a series of workshops, said Gibson, followed by "site visits" -- formally referred to as learning tracks -- that will "highlight ministries of social justice with the Diocese of North Carolina."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82016_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "Forward Movement Lent & Easter Package 2007" from Forward Movement, by Various Authors, 12 pamphlets, c. 2007, $6

[Source: Forward Movement] -- The Lent & Easter package provides a convenient way to keep Lent with pieces designed to inspire the cultivation of an interior life of devotion and sacrifice rooted in prayer and study.

This set includes Jonathon Jensen's series of Lent meditations for the annual Lenten booklet, 40 Days of Lent 2007, along with a sample of all Lent and Easter pamphlets. Order more of your favorites separately.

This package contains one each of the following titles:

40 Days of Lent 2007 The Ashes of Lent Fasting: Some Questions and Answers The Future That is Easter Good Friday: The Paradox of the Cross He is Risen, We Are Risen, Alleluia! How to Keep Lent Meditations for Use at the Stations of the Cross Meeting the Risen Christ Powerlessness: The Cross The Southwell Litany The Way of the Cross

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.