From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Diocese of Louisiana responds to tornado damage

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:37:24 -0500

Episcopal News Service February 14, 2007

Diocese of Louisiana responds to tornado damage

By Ben Jenkins

Before dawn February 13 a tornado touched down in several parts of New Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, leaving a swath of destruction. When damage reports rolled in, Bishop Charles Jenkins and the clergy mobilized to help those affected by the storm.

"The church was able to shift from hurricane relief work to help in a neighborhood where people had been hurt and had post traumatic stress syndrome. I think we provided an important presence," Jenkins said. "I was pleased with how the diocese was able to respond to the disaster."

Jenkins' first stop was the apartment for college interns with the Office of Disaster Response's house gutting program. None of the eight interns was injured, but six windows were blown out of their house and two of their cars were smashed by felled telephone poles.

"All the young folks are OK but shaken pretty badly," Jenkins wrote in his blog (http://www.edola.org/index.php).

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82445_ENG_HTM.htm