From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[APD] Adventist Representative: More action to Curb Violence against Women

From "APD Schweiz/Switzerland" <APD@stanet.ch>
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:31:36 +0100

[APD] Adventist Representative: More action to Curb Violence against Women

February 26, 2007

Adventist Press Service (APD)

Christian B. Schaeffler,

Editor-in-chief

Fax +41-61-261 61 18

<mailto:APD@stanet.ch> APD@stanet.ch

http://www.stanet.ch/APD

CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Representative Commends UN Initiative to Curb Violence against Women

New York, N.Y.,/USA [APD] Far more action is needed to curb the world-wide problem of violence directed against women, according to Dr. Jonathan Gallagher, the Seventh-day Adventist Church's representative to the United Nations. Attending a Communications workshop on "Addressing gender issues with the United Nations: Present and future" held in New York on February 15. The meeting was organized by the NGO Section, Department of Information (DPI), in cooperation with the NGO/DPI Executive. Gallagher commended the ongoing UN initiative designed to develop practical methods to end gender-related violence and discrimination.

"Women and girls continue to experience violence at intolerably high levels," comments Gallagher. "Combating this evil must be a top priority for both governments and civil society, and we welcome initiatives designed to highlight and prevent such abuses. As a church we deplore violence, especially that directed at women, and are actively involved in changing mindsets that accept such unacceptable behaviour."

The UN continues to address gender issues at such meetings and the upcoming 51st session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) in New York, from February 26 to March 9. "I'm delighted that there will be a significant Adventist presence at this important UN Commission with a delegation of women leaders in attendance," Gallagher adds. "It is part of our theology and mission to ensure that every individual made in the image of God is treated with dignity and respect. Violence against women has no place in our world and as agents for change in our communities we must continue to work to end such offensive abuses."

The 51st CSW session is based on the Beijing Platform for Action in 1995 on women's rights and an agreement from the 23rd UN special session on women. In accordance with its multiyear programme of work for 2007-2009, the Commission on the Status of Women will consider "The elimination of all forms of discrimination and violence against the girl child" as its priority theme during its 51st session. The delegates will also discuss such issues as gender equality, 21st century peace and development.

This article is also available on the Internet at:

<http://www.stanet.ch/apd/news/1347.html http://www.stanet.ch/apd/news/1347.html