From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop briefs Church Center community on Primates' Meeting

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:49:17 -0500

Episcopal News Service February 23, 2007

Presiding Bishop briefs Church Center community on Primates' Meeting

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori on February 23 told the community of people who work at the Episcopal Church Center in New York that the new structures asked for by the Primates in Dar es Salaam, and the clarifications they want about the Episcopal Church's stance on blessing same-gender relationships and partnered gay and lesbian priests becoming bishops, can be a "container" in which the Anglican Communion can continue to discuss issues that many Anglicans would rather avoid.

She told the gathering that the Episcopal Church is called to ensure that the conversation about the inclusion of gays and lesbians in the church continues in the Communion.

"It is part of our mission as a church," she said. "This conversation that has been going on for at least 40 years is not going away. God keeps bringing it back to us."

Jefferts Schori said that she understands that some people feel that the Primates' recommendations are a "hard and bitter pill for many of us to talk about swallowing." But, she said, worldwide attitudes about the inclusion of gay and lesbian people are changing and "I don't expect that to end."

An mp3 audio recording of Jefferts Schori's remarks is available at: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_59911_ENG_HTM.htm

A full ENS story will follow later today.

-- The Rev. Mary Frances Schjonberg is national correspondent for the Episcopal News Service.