From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] In Iran, religious delegation urges building bridges, deeper dialogue with US

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:47:29 -0500

Episcopal News Service February 26, 2007

In Iran, religious delegation urges building bridges, deeper dialogue with US

[ENS] Two Episcopalians were part of a delegation of Christian leaders who traveled to the Islamic Republic of Iran February 19-24 in an effort to reduce tensions and build bridges between the United States and Iran.

They were Maureen Shea, director of government relations (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/eppn.htm) for the Episcopal Church, and Sister Ellen Francis Poisson, OSH, an Episcopal priest and sister of the Order of Saint Helena (http://www.osh.org).

The delegation's final statement called upon the two governments to immediately engage in direct face-to-face talks; cease using language that defines the other using "enemy" images; and promote more people to people exchanges including religious leaders, members of Parliament/Congress, and civil society.

The full story may be found at:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82833_ENG_HTM.htm