From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Listening: Anglican women reaffirm commitment to church's mission, unity

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:55:07 -0500

Episcopal News Service March 4, 2007

Listening: Anglican women reaffirm commitment to church's mission, unity

'Rebuilding and reconciling the world is central to our faith,' UNCSW delegates say

By Matthew Davies

[ENS] A group of Anglican women, as an expression of their faithfulness to the church's mission, issued a statement March 3 reiterating their unequivocal commitment "to remaining always in 'communion' with and for one another," and emphasizing that "rebuilding and reconciling the world" is central to their faith.

The statement came as more than 80 Anglican women are meeting in New York February 26-March 9 for the 51st session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW).

The Anglican delegation is the largest non-governmental representation at the UNCSW, an annual meeting that brings thousands of women from around the world to New York, in part to address the challenges raised by the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), especially Goal 3 which calls for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.

"We remain resolute in our solidarity with one another and in our commitment, above all else, to pursue and fulfill God's mission in all we say and do," the statement said.

Citing the global tensions "so evident in our church today," the women refused to accept "that there is any one issue of difference or contention which can, or indeed would, ever cause us to break the unity as represented by our common baptism.

"Neither would we ever consider severing the deep and abiding bonds of affection which characterize our relationships as Anglican women."

The women noted that they had been challenged in their time together "by the desperately urgent issues of life and death faced by countless numbers of women and children in our communities."

In their conclusion, the women proclaimed: "This sisterhood of suffering is at the heart of our theology and our commitment to transforming the whole world through peace with justice. Rebuilding and reconciling the world is central to our faith."

Full story and statement: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83068_ENG_HTM.htm

-- Matthew Davies is international correspondent for the Episcopal News Service.