From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Funds Israeli-Led Relief Efforts for Somali Refugees

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:21:02 -0500

AJC Funds Israeli-Led Relief Efforts for Somali Refugees

March 2, 2007 - New York - The American Jewish Committee is supporting an Israeli humanitarian team aiding Somali refugees in Kenya who fled massive flooding and military conflict in their homeland. The contribution comes from AJC's Harriet and Robert Heilbrunn Humanitarian Fund.

"Our values instruct us to comfort those who are afflicted and we are confident that our efforts will provide for the welfare of these embattled refugees and ease the strain on their benefactors in Kenya," said Eliseo Neuman, director of AJC's Africa Institute.

The team of Israeli aid workers, part of IsraAID (the Israel Forum for International Humanitarian Aid), have already provided children's clothing, medicine, water and water-distribution technology, and community mobilization for the refugees. IsraAID offers an international Jewish response to disaster and emergency situations.

AJC is among a group of Jewish and Israeli organizations, including B'nai B'rith International, HIAS, F.I.R.S.T., and the Jerusalem AIDS Project, ensuring the IsraAID team can meet the immediate needs of the refugees and properly plan for any future relief. These efforts were coordinated with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Israeli embassy in Nairobi.

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org