From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Family ties

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:19:37 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

======================================= This story is located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07123.htm

07123 March 5, 2007

Family ties

From Redlands to Lahore, committed Presbyterians help a

young student realize his dreams

by Emily Enders Odom Associate for Communications Mission Initiative: Joining Hearts and Hands

LOUISVILLE - Pedaling his bicycle daily across the Pakistani countryside, Asad Iqbal keeps one watchful eye on the road, and the other on his now promising future.

The 18-year old, a hardworking, first-year student in the new evening program at Forman Christian College in Lahore, Pakistan, dreams of a career in banking.

"I thank God for Forman Christian College," Iqbal said. "I like it very much."

Iqbal's family, who lives at some distance from the school's campus, has made tremendous sacrifices in order to support their son. They reconfigured the family's sleeping arrangements so that Asad would have a bedroom to himself in which to study. His two brothers and one sister must now share a room.

To keep up with Forman's academic demands, Iqbal also attends tutorial sessions on campus for several hours each day. He then studies at home for an additional two to three hours daily. "English," he said, " is my favorite class, because Miss Jacqoline is such a good teacher."

Forman Christian College, often referred to as the "crown jewel of Presbyterian educational mission in Pakistan," was officially returned to the management of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in 2003 after 31 years of government control. From its founding by Presbyterian missionaries in 1864 until it was nationalized by the Government of Pakistan in 1972, it has been widely regarded as the best college on the Indian sub-continent.

Under the leadership of Peter Armacost, who became principal of the college following its denationalization in 2003, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of Christian students like Iqbal. The new evening program is a byproduct of that remarkable growth both in interest and numbers.

"For the most part, Christian students are at a disadvantage in the educational system, and do not qualify for admission here via the merit process," Armacost explained. "Only 97 Christian students made it into our regular program, which has space for 1,100 students."

Because Forman Christian College has regularly encouraged Christian students to prepare for and seek admission to college, Armacost was committed to finding a way to accommodate more of the interested Christian students in the school's overall population. "I sought the support of our executive committee for an evening program, using the same curriculum and teachers as in the regular program," he said. "Right from the start, the evening school students have bonded with one another, and share a very strong sense of community."

Iqbal, however, nearly missed out on the whole experience, but for the grace of God and a Presbyterian named Jim Appleton.

Appleton, a member of First Presbyterian Church of Redlands, CA, is a vocal advocate in support of the mission of Forman Christian College. Although he presently serves as chancellor and is a former president of the University of Redlands, it was Appleton's volunteer teaching and fundraising activities on behalf of Forman Christian College that attracted the attention of Behram Shad, a fellow member of Redlands First Presbyterian.

Shad, who came with his wife to the United States from Pakistan in 1998, calls himself Iqbal's grandfather. "He is not my 'real' grandson, but my cousin's, sister's grandson," Shad explained. "Because he has no father now, my children are supporting him." In fact, Shad's son-in-law, the Rev. Wallace William, contacted Christy Munir, Forman's vice principal, in an effort to help Iqbal.

When Shad first learned that Iqbal had a dream of attending Forman, but had encountered some problems with his initial application, he approached Appleton for his help and guidance. Appleton promised to talk with Armacost.

"Jim has a real heart for students, mission, and outreach," said the Rev. Tim Boyer, pastor of First Presbyterian. "Because our church has a longstanding commitment and tradition to offer worship and a sense of home to the large Pakistani-Indian community in Redlands, God has also worked to open a door between our congregation and Forman Christian College."

Appleton became acquainted with Forman firsthand in February 2006, when he traveled to Pakistan in order to meet with college faculty and staff, as well as government officials and other institutional leaders. "I continue to believe this has to be among our most important educational missions," he said. "I am enthusiastic in my support of the mission of Forman, which offers a quality education for both Christian and Muslim students in a values-oriented environment."

Shad, whose own engineering diploma was not earned at Forman Christian College, was nevertheless well acquainted with the school.

"Forman is a good choice for my grandson," he said. "Three generations of Christians in our family have been students there, including my own father who was at the college in the 1920s. My grandson is now attending church every Friday in a Christian atmosphere. We want our children to be there."

Iqbal participates in the Christian Life Program, which is gaining new momentum under the leadership of Robert Johnson, Dean of the Chapel, and the Rev. Babar Iqbal Rana, Chaplain.

Both Johnson and his wife, Marianne Vermeer, are serving in newly-funded positions at Forman Christian College through the Mission Initiative: Joining Hearts & Hands, a five-year campaign of the PC(USA) to renew the church for mission. Working in continued cooperation with Armacost, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has now identified the need for additional faculty positions there.

"I believe that the future of the Christian community is going to be determined, in large part, by the work that we are now doing at Forman Christian College with the young Christian students," Armacost said. "We are educating the next generation of leadership for the Christian community in Pakistan, and this would not be possible without the prayers and support of our friends in the Presbyterian Church (USA)."

There are several avenues available to Presbyterians who would like to support Forman Christian College. Gifts through Joining Hearts & Hands (Account Number MI910074) will support new faculty positions there. Specific needs for infrastructure and program can be funded through designated Extra Commitment Opportunities (ECOs) of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Support for housing for women students at Forman can be made through the Presbyterian Women 2006 Birthday Offering.