From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Listening: What Roman Catholics can learn from Anglicans

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 7 Mar 2007 01:38:16 -0500

Episcopal News Service March 5, 2007

Listening: What Roman Catholics can learn from Anglicans

Transcendence and transparency are Anglican gifts to the wider Church

By Mary Reath

[ENS] A leading international authority on liturgy says Roman Catholics can receive gifts of transcendence-and transparency-from Anglicans.

The Rev. Keith Pecklers, SJ, professor of liturgy at the Pontifical Gregorian University, professor of liturgical history at the Pontifical Liturgical Institute, and an on-air expert on church affairs for ABC News, gave two talks in New York on February 26.

At the General Theological Seminary (GTS), he presented an overview of a chapter written for the forthcoming book Receptive Ecumenism, edited by Paul Murray of Durham University, to be published by Oxford University Press.

Later in the day, he made a full presentation of the chapter , entitled What Catholics Can Learn From Anglicans, in Andrew Hall at St. Thomas Church in midtown Manhattan.

In both places he spoke of important ecumenical friendships that have been rebuilt since the 1960's, and of the natural cultural affinities that come from Anglicans and Roman Catholics living side-by-side.

"Without denying the real issues that continue to divide our churches, we must honestly admit and indeed, celebrate the truth that we hold much more in common, and there is more that we have to learn from one another's traditions," he said.

Theologians make essential contributions, he said, but in order truly to heal divisions and break down stereotypes, much more needs to be done together at the local level.

Pecklers spoke admiringly of Anglican worship for its ability to encourage reverence and mystery, and yet be also participatory and lively. He talked about being personally inspired by the liturgies at St. Thomas, St. Luke in the Fields and other New York Episcopal churches.

He praised the beauty of the Book of Common Prayer, of Anglican hymnody, of the widespread practice of Morning and Evening Prayer, and of Evensong, and of the beautiful blending of Anglican poetry and spirituality, from John Donne and George Herbert to Rowan Williams.

Full story and photo: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83125_ENG_HTM.htm

--Mary Reath is chair of the American Friends of the Anglican Centre in Rome.