From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] New times, new hopes: CLAI elects Anglican Bishop Julio Murray as its President

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:26:08 -0500

Episcopal News Service March 7, 2007

New times, new hopes: CLAI elects Anglican Bishop Julio Murray as its President

[ENS] Gathered in Buenos Aires, February 19-25, the 500 delegates to the Assembly of the Latin American Council of Churches (CLAI) with a ''chorus of voices, colors, smells, rhythms, songs, and flavors'' which celebrated ''the diversity of our spiritualities and identities, in intimate communion and challenge toward new times and hopes.''

The Council is formed by representatives from Central and Latin America and the Caribbean churches and ecumenical organizations working in the area.

During the event, they elected Panamanian Anglican Bishop Julio Murray, 49, as their new president. In 2006, Murray was elected Bishop of Panama, a diocese within the Iglesia Anglicana de la Región Central de América (IARCA), one of the autonomous Provinces of the Anglican Communion.

Coincidentally, Murray will succeed another Anglican - Episcopal Bishop Julio Holguin, from the Dominican Republic - for a three year term. Murray was elected on the third ballot from a field of five nominees.

The Rev. Canon Juan Marquez, Latin America and Caribbean Partnerships Officer of the Office of Anglican and Global Relations (AGR) of the Episcopal Church, attended the meeting together with other representatives from Anglican and Episcopal Churches in the region.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83180_ENG_HTM.htm