From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] TEAM: Three speakers put their local contexts into larger Communion's perspective

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:41:58 -0500

Episcopal News Service March 8, 2007

TEAM: Three speakers put their local contexts into larger Communion's perspective

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] Saying "our experience of the Anglican Communion is always local," the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon, secretary general of the Anglican Communion, March 8 invited three participants in the Towards Effective Anglican Mission (TEAM) conference to connect their local contexts of mission to the entire Communion.

Jenny Te Paa, the ahorangi or dean of Te Rau Kahikatea (College of St. John the Evangelist) in Auckland, New Zealand, told the conference about how she had been traveling throughout the Communion recently, talking to those who she called "ordinary, global Anglicans."

The first group she talked about was the theological students she has recently encountered both at her own college and those at Church Divinity School of the Pacific (the Episcopal seminary in Berkley, California) and at an ecumenical gathering in Montreal of Canadian seminarians. Those students always offer fresh insights -- if "often somewhat naïve."

Many asked her what to make of the fact that seven Primates refused to receive Communion during the recent Tanzania session of the Primates' Meeting because of the presence of Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_82550_ENG_HTM.htm). She said that teachers and theologians sometimes have to admit that they have no understanding of events such as the "petulant politicizing" of a sacrament, a practice that she called "unconscionable."

At the recent United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW) annual meeting in New York, Te Paa said the Anglican delegation prayed together each day for "peace among our people" and for the girls of the world, and they engaged in their own listening process.

They also felt the need to express their concern about how the mission of the church is being affected by distractions like the "incomprehensible" practice of boycotting Eucharist at the Primates' Meeting and the schemes of alternative primatial oversight, the reasons for which "are all but incomprehensible." So the delegation issued a statement (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83068_ENG_HTM.htm) "for the Church we love beyond calculation."

The third group Te Paa talked about was indigenous Anglicans who have been "largely polite and infinitely patient." She said that despite all that has been done to indigenous peoples, they have "exemplified what it is to be Christ-like."

In general, Te Paa said her conversations with Anglicans tell her that most people "are looking for an end to our squabbles over sexuality" so that everyone can be more focused on "transforming and deeply loving mission."

Abagail Nelson, vice president of programs for Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) (http://er-d.org), said that ERD staffers see themselves as people who listen to those people like TEAM conference participants -- the people who work "where the road ends and the dirt paths begin."

In that listening, she said, "I continue to learn so much about faith" and its redemptive possibilities.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83214_ENG_HTM.htm

More information about TEAM is available at the conference website (http://www.team2007.org). Continuing ENS coverage is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_23466_ENG_HTM.htm.

-- The Rev. Mary Frances Schjonberg is national correspondent for the Episcopal News Service.