From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Suburban Chicago elder tapped as PC(USA) s communication and funds-development officer

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:18:37 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

======================================= This story and photo located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07140.htm

07140 March 9, 2007

Suburban Chicago elder tapped as PC(USA)'s communication and funds-development officer

Senior GAC leadership complete with appointment of Karen Schmidt

by Jerry Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - The slate of top-level leaders in the newly-restructured Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly Council (GAC) is now complete with the hiring of Elder Karen L. Schmidt as Deputy Executive Director for Communication and Funds Development.

Schmidt, a Presbyterian elder from Glen Ellyn, IL, has more than 25 years experience as a senior executive with Fortune 500 and other high-powered companies. Her appointment by GAC Executive Director Linda Bryant Valentine is expected to be confirmed by the GAC at its meeting here next week and she will begin work in April.

Schmidt will join Deputy Executive Director for Mission the Rev. Tom Taylor and Deputy Executive Director for Shared Services/CFO Joey Bailey as Valentine's senior staff team. Valentine was elected last spring and has been spearheading the restructuring of the GAC, which was launched shortly before her election.

Announcing the appointment March 9, Valentine said Schmidt has "tremendous expertise in strategic and effective communication, as well as substantial experience in business development and sales."

Valentine added that she's "impressed by Karen Schmidt's deep sense of call and the versatility she has demonstrated in combining excellence in sales, marketing, communication and strategic business development."

Schmidt grew up Lutheran in Milwaukee and Louisville, a descendant of many generations of Lutheran pastors and teachers. She became Presbyterian in 1992 after attending Chicago's Fourth Presbyterian Church - "surreptitiously," she says - for several years. In 1993, she moved to nearby Glen Ellyn and a year later joined First Presbyterian Church, pastored by conservative evangelical leader the Rev. Jerry Andrews. On session, she carries responsibility for membership ministry and also teaches elementary Sunday school.

Professionally, Schmidt has more than 25 years of senior executive experience in marketing and selling consulting information technology solutions to Fortune 500 and middle market companies. She is a former executive vice president of LandAmerica, the nation's third largest real estate title insurance provider. She has also had key sales and marketing leadership positions with companies such as Andersen Consulting (now known as Accenture), Xerox Computer Service and as a partner with BDO Seidman.

She is well-known in the business community for her expertise in branding, marketing and sales strategy and applying those skills through programs that help organizations grow.

"I never thought that I would find my professional career preparing me for service to the church, but it is clear to me that the council's renewed focus on communication and funds development is where God is leading me," Schmidt said. "I'm excited by this opportunity to participate in God's transformation of the world through the gospel of Jesus Christ."