From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Campus ministry grants embody General Convention's commitment to young adults

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:02:09 -0500

Episcopal News Service March 9, 2007

Campus ministry grants embody General Convention's commitment to young adults

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] The Provincial Coordinators for Higher Education Ministry awarded seven new campus ministries, representing five provinces, start-up grants totaling more than $165,000.

"The General Convention in 2006 retained young adults, youth, campus ministry and children as its second mission priority after peace and justice," said the Rev. G. Douglas Fenton, staff officer for the Office of Young Adults and Higher Education Ministries. "A budget allocation was provided to continue the work on campus ministry start-ups and consequently seven new campus ministries will begin soon, in partnership with both diocesan and local parish support."

The 74th General Convention in 2003 also listed young adults, youth and campus ministry as its first priority and provided for campus ministry in the $1 million fund that benefited five campuses -- Southern Maine, Toledo, New York University, Montana State-Bozeman, and University of Nevada-Reno -- with start-up grants for a two year period. (See: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/49065_68725_ENG_HTM.htm)

According to Fenton, the Provincial Coordinators for Higher Education Ministry received 40 grant proposals, at least one from every province, signed by the respective diocesan bishop. He said it "signifies that the dioceses and local church communities have not abandoned their commitment and their hope to respond to this rich 'mission field.'"

The Rev. Dr. Jim Lemler, director of mission for the Episcopal Church, said one of the five primary elements of the 20/20 Vision of being a "healthy, dynamic, and vital church," is to "focus on children, youth, and college ministries."

"College ministries are an integral part of the Church's mission. They are ministries of transformation, community, service, and prayer," he said. "Demographically, the Episcopal Church is seriously under-represented in the age group 20-35, in fact, our percentage is less than half the percentage in the general American population."

Lemler emphasized that the focus must be on this age group and these communities "if we are to thrive as a church." More importantly, he said, "this age group has something necessary to offer to the whole church as we live into this post-modern period."

Full story and photo:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83311_ENG_HTM.htm

--Daphne Mack is staff writer for Episcopal News Service.