From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Mission: ENTREAT explores religious, scientific dimensions of water issues / Catalyst: The Gre

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:02:33 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Monday, March 19, 2007, in Lent. The Church calendar remembers Saint Joseph.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1985, the Anglican Communion was invited to be one of the consultants to the United Nations Economic and Social Council.

- - -

Mission: ENTREAT explores religious, scientific dimensions of water issues

By Phina Borgeson

[ENS] The scientific, public policy and faith dimensions of water issues were explored March 8-9 in Sewanee, Tennessee, by participants gathered for a conference of ENTREAT (Enter Now the Reflection, Education, Action Treatise), a collaborative program at the University of the South that examines the interface between religion and science, especially regarding environmental issues.

About 150 participants engaged in this year's conference, "Water for Life: Conserving Water for Nature and People," through listening, reflecting, networking, hiking and praying.

The Rev. Canon Jeff Golliher, program associate for the Environment and Sustainable Development in the Office of the Anglican Observer at the United Nations, spoke on the water of baptism and of life, exploring the water crisis and the call to sustainable use.

Creating a national and ultimately a global water budget "and finding the balance between need, want, fairness and survival is a role tailor made for the community of believers," said Roberta Savage as part of a March 8 address, "Water Rights and Dynamic Water Policies."

Savage's remarks drew on her extensive experience in water conservation, working from 1978 to 2006 as executive director of the Association of State and Interstate Water Pollution Control Administrators.

"The first step in developing a global water budget would be to involve ourselves in the creation of watershed plans and the development of total maximum daily loads (TMDLs) within our own communities," said Savage, a parishioner at Grace Episcopal Church in Stanardsville, Virginia. "In our country, the Clean Water Act requires the development of TMDLs for waters impaired by pollution and pollutants."

Citizens can get involved at local watershed, state, national and international levels in shaping resource plans and developing a global water budget, she explained.

"Episcopalians might become active in our watersheds by first becoming water monitors and participating in World Water Monitoring Day," suggests its founder, Savage. "We can promote the importance of water quality and water scarcity within our own parishes and dioceses. Taking things a step further, we can develop church policies at the statewide level, then churchwide in the US and ultimately throughout the world."

Full story and photos:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83789_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "The Great 50 Days: The Daily Office from Easter to Pentecost" from Church Publishing, Inc., 400 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $18

[Source: Church Publishing, Inc.] Like its companion volume, 40 Days, this book is intended to be an accessible, toe-in-the-water introduction to the private recitation of the daily office. It contains rite two Morning and Evening Prayer from the Book of Common Prayer, the Psalter as prescribed and edited for each day from Easter morning through the Day of Pentecost, the collects, and all bible readings (New Revised Standard Version) for the two-year lectionary cycle. The Prayer Book services of Order for Noonday and Compline (close of day) will also be included for readers who find those times more suitable for praying an office. Readings, prayers, and psalms are included for the major holy days that often fall in Easter season, including the Annunciation (March 25) and St. Mark (April 25).

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.