From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: March 23, 2007 - Middle East concerns, resolution of Palestinian/Israeli crisis rais

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:49:06 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink March 23, 2007

Editor's note: The Episcopal Life Online Newslink, released in the late afternoon, presents the day's news about the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion from its top stories, diocesan digest and world report sections. Feature, Opinion and Arts stories from the award-winning monthly newspaper Episcopal Life, will also be included.

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife. _____________________

TOP STORIES

Middle East concerns, resolution of Palestinian/Israeli crisis raised Executive Council resolution calls for four-step action

By Staff

[Episcopal News Service] Concerns about the continuing war in Iraq, increasing regional tensions in the Middle East and the need for more regional diplomacy are being raised by The Episcopal Church. Also of concern is the progress of a two-state solution for Palestinians and Israelis as essential to reducing those tensions.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_84302_ENG_HTM.htm _____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

LOS ANGELES: Bishop decries health care crisis, supermarket conditions in underserved areas http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_84269_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm _____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Archbishops' challenge to consider the lessons of the slave trade's legacies http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_84307_ENG_HTM.htm

SOMALIA: East African church leaders call for African Union action http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_84315_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm _____________________

FEATURES

Scorpions no deterrent

Long-time missionary baptizes hundreds of Kenyans

By Todd McGregor

[Episcopal Life] My finger throbbed in excruciating pain, and a plastic bag functioned as a tourniquet. The northern Kenya medical treatment for a scorpion bite consisted of gasoline and some type of traditional ointment that my students had just applied to the infected area.

Just minutes earlier, I was checking to make sure I had enough film in my camera for the upcoming baptismal service - our first in this new village. I knew it was going to be a long service, as 400 came to faith in Christ over the past few Days and approximately 200 had decided to be baptized on that Sunday morning. In that camera case also awaited a sleeping scorpion, until I disturbed it.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_83679_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm _____________________

OPINION

The chorus expands More are singing the unemployment blues

[Episcopal Life] Editor's note: A number of letters arrived in response to the First person column "Singing the Unemployment blues" in January. Several of those letters are printed online at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_74614_ENG_HTM.htm. We have withheld some names at the authors' requests.

The original article is available at:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_81882_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm _____________________

ARTS

How sweet the sight

Despite flaws, Amazing Grace offers valuable look at abolition movement

[Episcopal Life] Michael Apted's film, Amazing Grace, presents the 19 years William Wilberforce (1759-1833) campaigned against slavery. The film is rich in purpose and detail, including horrifying displays of slave irons. Although imperfect, it is a worthy vehicle for understanding political and clerical history.

As a young man in London, Wilberforce struggled between becoming an Anglican priest or a member of Parliament; he decided finally that, as a politician, he could practice his faith actively in social justice. One of Wilberforce's minor mentors was John Newton, the former slave-ship captain and Anglican priest who wrote the words for Amazing Grace, among many beloved hymns.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_84197_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm