From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

test message

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:20:08 -0700

All Africa Conference of Churches Outraged by Sudan Visa Denial - test resend

March 22, 2007

UN Human Rights Council - Geneva

Situation of Human Rights in Darfur

Implementation of General Assembly Resolution 60/251 of 15 March 2006

The All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) is outraged by the Government of Sudan's denial of visas to members of the High Level Mission established by the Human Rights Council in Geneva, to assess the situation in Darfur.

We have followed the deliberations of the Council during its current fourth session very keenly.

We note that the Council by consensus agreed to establish a High Level Mission to assess the Human Rights situation in Darfur. It is noted that the government of Sudan welcomed the decision of the Council and expressed its willingness to co-operate with the mission.

However, it is now known as a matter of fact that the mission did not have access to Darfur due to the non co-operation of the Government of Sudan. The Mission has now presented it report to the Council. It is in this regard that the AACC has written to the Heads of States whose Governments are represented in the Council urging them to vote in favour of the report and its recommendations.

In January, the AACC supported the decision of the AU Assembly of Heads of States in denying the AU Chairmanship to the President of Sudan due to the crisis in Darfur.

We call on the African Heads of States to demonstrate their commitment in defending the God given rights of the Darfur people and urge them to show solidarity by voting favourably for the High Level Mission report.

As Church Leaders, we consider it our duty and responsibility to speak out against atrocities no matter who the perpetrator is. We believe that it is our responsibility as Africans and members of the International Community to protect our own people against injustice.

Issued by, Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala General Secretary All Africa Conference of Churches

Christine Onyango Advocacy,

Research & Communication All Africa Conference of Churches P. O. Box 14205 00800 Nairobi Tel: 254-20-4441483 / 4441338/9 Fax: 254-20-4443241 / 4445835 E-mail: christine@aacc-ceta.org ; infodesk@aacc-ceta.org Website: www.aacc-ceta.org