From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 159-Board hears success stories from Publishing House

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG> (by way of George Conklin <gconklin@igc.org>)
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:29:59 -0700

Board hears success stories from Publishing House

Mar. 30, 2007

NOTE: Photographs available at >http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - The United Methodist Publishing >House is "living big," "transforming lives" and >"still singing" with new publications for children and adults. >

The church publishing agency is celebrating the successes of the >children's Sunday school curriculum "Live B.I.G."; the >stewardship study guide Treasures of the Transformed Life; and the >African-American songbook Zion Still Sings.

The good news was reported to the Publishing House board of directors >during its March 27-28 spring meeting.

Larry Wallace, senior vice president of finance and >administration, reported a strong financial performance during the first >two quarters of the fiscal year, which ended in January. Total sales were >$55.7 million, exceeding budget by $1.1 million. Expenses were lower than >budgeted by more than $800,000, and net operating revenue for the >six-month period was $1.3 million ahead of budget.

New church offerings

Marj Pon, director of children's resources, said launching >the new Sunday school curriculum required big risks that have paid >off.

Seven months after its release, the curriculum is in more than 5,000 >churches and "really reaching the children," she said.

Production of the interactive Sunday school curriculum "Live >B.I.G." was more expensive than expected and a new staff had to be >hired to produce the series. However, Pon said the feedback has been >positive and shared some letters, calls and e-mails with board >members.

"I just wish you could know just how deeply Live B.I.G. is touching >the lives of our children and teachers," said Pam Cotton, director >of children's ministries at Elmwood West United Methodist Church, Abilene >Texas. "When I see a teacher crying because they are so touched by >the Big Picture and the Big Sound, it warms my heart. That leads the >teacher to interact with the children in a way that is real and the love >of Jesus just flows."

The curriculum uses DVDs with colorful characters, hip music and travel >segments designed to help children learn - and then live what they learn. >A primary goal is to make children excited about attending Sunday >school.

"I could not pass up the opportunity to tell you that our church >school department just loves the Live B.I.G. curriculum. The students are >all happy and the teachers are just as excited," said Carolyn >Gooden, a Christian educator with St. Mary's United Methodist Church, >Wichita, Kan.

Other new offerings generating positive feedback are Treasures of the >Transformed Life, a 40-day, churchwide study focusing on stewardship, >and Zion Still Sings! For Every Generation, a follow-up resource >to Songs of Zion.

Written by the Rev. John Ed Mathison, pastor of Frazer United Methodist >Church in Montgomery, Ala., and a member of the Publishing House board, >Transformed Life shifts the focus from finances to individual >spiritual development and Christian community. During the first seven >months of its release, about 25,000 copies have sold.

Zion Still Sings! For Every Generation captures the changing >musical dynamics of African-American worship and song and emphasizes new >contemporary songs of praise and worship.

Scheduled for a May release, the songbook seeks "to bridge from the >content of Songs of Zion into the present age," said the Rev. >Myron McCoy, the project's general editor. It pulls from African American >spirituals, black gospel, traditional hymns, 21st century hymns, urban >rap and hip hop.

The book will sell for $12, with an accompaniment edition priced at $55. >It contains 250 songs - 80 percent of them copyrighted since 1981 - and >includes specially commissioned pieces.

Mission and ministry

In a spirit of collaboration and shared ministry, the board >affirmed a proposed four-pronged mission emphasis by which The United >Methodist Council of Bishops and worldwide Connectional Table would set >the future course of the denomination's work and life.

The bishops, the executives of churchwide agencies and the Connectional >Table have proposed that all levels of the denomination work together to >transform the church and the world by promoting leadership development, >starting new congregations, addressing global heath concerns and tackling >root causes of poverty.

After a presentation on the anti-malaria campaign Nothing But Nets by the >Rev. Larry Hollon, top executive of United Methodist Communications, >board members individually contributed $570 to buy insecticide-treated >bed nets.

The people of The United Methodist Church are a founding partner in >Nothing But Nets, which is taking aim at one of Africa's biggest killers >of children by protecting families from disease-carrying mosquitoes. >Other founding partners include the United Nations Foundation, the >National Basketball Association's NBA Cares and Sports >Illustrated.

For each $10 donation, a bed net is purchased and distributed to Africa, >where education about its use is provided. The dream is to eradicate >malaria.

"Not everything in the world has to be paralyzing; we can change >some things," said Neil Alexander, publisher and CEO of the >Publishing House, urging participation in the campaign.

Information about the new publications is available through Cokesbury >Bookstores or online at >www.abingdonpress.com.

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer >based in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., >(615) 742-5470 or >newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org

---------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from >this group, go to UMCom.org, log in to your account, click on the My >Resources link and select the Leave option on the list(s) from which you >wish to unsubscribe. If you have problems or questions, please write to >websupport@umcom.org.