From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: Heaven

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:54:55 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, April 11 in Easter Week. The Church calendar remembers George Augustus Selwyn, Bishop of New Zealand, and of Lichfield (1809-1878).

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

_______________

WEEKS AHEAD

A round up of special events, services and diocesan conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church during the coming weeks.

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

4/11/2007

>> BERKELEY, California: CDSP set for spring conference for prospective seminary students >> BOSTON, Massachusetts: Sjoerd Bonting to speak at second Pollard Lecture

4/12/2007 >> AUSTIN, Texas: Harvey Lectures at ETSS

4/13/2007

>> NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina: Liberian Episcopal Clergy in the US >> ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI: Third annual AFRECS conference

4/16/2007

>> NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana: Church in Metropolitan Areas gathering

4/20/2007

>> AUGUSTA, Georgia: Art and Spirituality, Connecting with God beyond Words >> SMYRNA, Delaware: Diocese of Delaware to meet in convention

4/21/2007

>> KNOXVILLE, Tennessee: Diocese of East Tennessee to hold diocesan ministry conference >> HYDE PARK, Illinois: Annual Leadership and Ministry Fair

4/22/2007

>> SEWANEE, Tennessee: U2CHARIST at University of the South >> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Texas focus of major state day at the cathedral

4/23/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Early Childhood Education Program Leadership Day >> MIAMI, Florida: 2007 Haiti Connection Conference >> SUFFOLK, England: International stewardship event

4/24/2007 >> NEW YORK CITY: The Faith Club

4/27/2007

>> ALEXANDRIA, Virginia: Frank Griswold keynote speaker for Mollegen Forum

4/28/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Stephanie Spellers offers one-day workshop at Trinity Church

4/30/2007

>> HONDURAS: Mujeres Unidas en Liderazgo (MUEL) in Province IX

5/3/2007

>> CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts: 2007 Kellogg Lecture Series

5/4/2007

>> HUNT VALLEY, Maryland: Diocese of Maryland to meet in convention >> MACKINAN ISLAND, Michigan: Province V ECW Annual Meeting

5/6/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Churches for Middle East Peace conference >> HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina: Inaugural Lansing Lee Conference

5/17/2007

>> NEW HAVEN, Connecticut: Faith as a Way of Life conference for pastoral leadership

5/23/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: National reconciliation seminar

5/28/2007

>> QUEENS, New York: Caribbean Anglican Consultation (CAC) Caribbean Clergy Conference

Music

4/15/2007

>> CHICAGO, Illinois: Concert at St. James Cathedral

4/21/2007 >> STATEN ISLAND: Music at Saint Alban's >> NEW YORK CITY: The Sacred Art of Chant

4/22/2007

>> PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania: Choral Evensong and Concert >> BRYN MAWR, Pennsylvania: Great Concerts for Great Causes presents Spencer Myer

5/20/2007

>> MANASSAS, Virginia: Choral Evensong for the Feast of the Ascension

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Heaven" from Church Publishing, Inc., edited by Roger Ferlo, 224 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $15

[Source: Church Publishing, Inc.] Heaven and the supernatural are heard about on late-night TV far more often than in church, and many Christians never hear it mentioned seriously from the pulpit. Everyone has something to say about their hopes and fears for the afterlife, but the topic of eternity is usually left to the talk shows. Ironically heaven is ignored by contemporary Christian preachers who stress the dailiness and Athis-worldliness of religious faith. That emphasis is salutary, but it does tend to marginalize the subject of eternity rather than challenging and deepening ideas through theological reflection.

Each of the authors in this book was asked to write a short personal on the subject of heaven. This collection of essays gathers the hopes and reflections of theologians, novelists, and poets. The authors include Rick Moody, Nora Gallagher, Robert Orsi, Barbara Brown Taylor, Phyllis Tickle, Malcolm Boyd, Alan Jones, Cynthia Bourgeault, Donna Schaper, Susan Wheeler, and many others. These writings, which mix autobiography, story-telling, and theological reflection, are poignant and wide-ranging.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.