From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] People: Charlotte Winters, oldest American female World War I veteran, dies at 109 / Catalyst:

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:42:09 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Thursday, April 12, in Easter Week.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1799, the Church Mission Society (formerly Church Missionary Society) was founded in London.

_ _ _

PEOPLE

Charlotte Winters, oldest American female World War I veteran, dies at 109

[Episcopal News Service] Charlotte Louise Berry Winters was the oldest living American female World War I veteran until her death March 27 at a nursing home near Boonsboro, Maryland. She was 109.

A member of All Saints' Episcopal Church in Frederick, Maryland, and a Daughter of the King, Winters was a Civil War buff who met face-to-face with the Secretary of the Navy to fight for women in the military.

Her death leaves just five known surviving American World War I veterans.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_84772_ENG_HTM.htm

More People news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "Undergoing God: Dispatches from the Scene of a Break-in" from The Continuum International Publishing Group, Inc., by James Alison, 246 pages, paperback, c. 2006, $19.95

[Source: The Continuum International Publishing Group, Inc.] Undergoing God is the long-awaited new book by one of the most exciting and original writers on religion and violence, sexuality issues, and the recovery of an authentically Catholic vision of life. James Alison challenges readers inside and outside the churches to transform their understanding of Christianity and of human desire.

"James Alison continues to teach us to drink at the refreshing stream of scripture, provided we are ready to emerge and take up a different sort of life. For he shows us how to see and to act from the underside of a world fascinated with power, so inviting us to enact the cross of Jesus as the only life-giving power there is..." -- David Burrell

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.