From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Excerpts from the Weekly Update: Aprill 11, 2007

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:35:49 -0400

Excerpts from the Weekly Update: April 11, 2007

AJC Leadership Delegation Concludes Moscow Visit

"We attach considerable importance to our relationship with the Russian Federation," said David A. Harris, AJC executive director, during an AJC leadership delegation visit to Moscow earlier this week. "Russia plays a very significant role in international affairs and global security, which makes it critical to engage in dialogue with its decision-makers." The thirteen-member AJC delegation, including leaders of AJC's Women's Campaign Board, met with Sergey Lavrov, Russia's Minister of Foreign Affairs; Igor Ivanov, secretary of the National Security Council; Sergei Mironov, chair of the Council of Federation of the Russian Federation; and Konstantin Kosachev, chair of the Duma Foreign Affairs Committee. In addition, they met U.S. Ambassador William Burns, Israeli Ambassador Anna Azari and members of the Russian Jewish community. This was AJC's second leadership mission to Russia in the past ten months and the fifth meeting with Foreign Minister Lavrov since January 2006.

AJC Applauds German Chancellor's Hebrew University Speech

In a letter to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, AJC applauded Germany's unswerving commitment to Israel's right to live in peace and security, a pledge she repeated when receiving a well-deserved honorary doctorate from Hebrew University. "We have been struck by the vigor and clarity with which the European Union, under Germany's presidency, has strengthened the Middle East Quartet as a diplomatic instrument for peace and stability," wrote AJC President E. Robert Goodkind and David Harris. "We appreciate your dedication to a just resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, mindful of the multiple threats to a secure peace posed by forces of terror and extremism across the region." Merkel addressed AJC's Annual Dinner last May in Washington, D.C.

UN Deputy Secretary-General Visits AJC

Leaders from AJC's Africa Institute and Jacob Blaustein Institute for the Advancement of Human Rights (JBI) met with UN Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro. AJC President E. Robert Goodkind, Africa Institute Chair Stanley Bergman, and JBI Chair Robert Rifkind discussed their shared commitment to strengthening global human rights, creating effective measures for sustainable development, and supporting the critical process of reform that the Deputy Secretary-General Migiro will be overseeing at the UN.

Swiss Jewish Federation Signs Accord with AJC

AJC and the Swiss Federation of Jewish Communities signed an association agreement in Geneva. "For the Swiss Jewish community, we are proud to join in this collaboration, as AJC is a well-known and highly regarded agency," said Federation President Alfred Donath. The signing ceremony took place during an AJC leadership delegation visit to Geneva. "We are delighted to join hands with the Swiss Federation of Jewish Communities in pursuit of our common aim," said David Harris. The Swiss Federation is AJC's twenty-third international partner. In Europe, the organization also has association agreements with the leading Jewish groups in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Greece, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain and Turkey, as well as with the European Union of Jewish Students and the European Council of Jewish Communities.

AJC Mideast Briefing: Awaiting Big Changes

"Israel and the region as a whole are locked in a waiting mode," writes Eran Lerman, director of AJC's Israel/Middle East Office, in his weekly analysis. The outcome of the Labor Party primary, the Winograd Commission report, and the fate of the finance minister are some of the current political challenges in Israel. "This is a not a good time for clever but cautious leaders to take bold decisions, leaping into the unknown. But it is a window of opportunity for reckless radicals to move into the open, stake out positions, and take actions that they hope will soon shape the political agenda. Their impact needs to be contained, but there are no sure-and-easy ways to do so," writes Lerman. READ BRIEFING at http://www.ajc.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=ijITI2PHKoG&b=1717407&; ct=3757 771

AJC Radio Message: The Power of Faith

David Harris discusses the power of faith in his national radio commentary. "For a century, AJC has worked tirelessly with leaders of other faiths who share our goal of friendship and mutual respect," says Harris. "Previously unimaginable progress has been achieved, but more remains to be done. Each of us can do our part to affirm that common humanity."

The Power of Faith David A. Harris Executive Director, American Jewish Committee Week of April 10, 2006

The full text of the message:

Shortly before Easter and Passover, I witnessed an uplifting sight.

Catholic, Orthodox Christian and Jewish leaders gathered at the AJC Jerusalem office.

They affirmed their common humanity, desire for cooperation, and quest for peace.

Faith is a powerful force. It creates a road map for how life can be lived. It offers a sense of place and purpose. It connects us to the past and future.

At its best, faith summons all that?s good in us. It stirs compassion, awakens kindness, and invites humility.

But faith can have a dark side. It can lead to demonization of those of different beliefs. It can prompt violence in the name of a higher authority.

Visit us at ajc.org

This is David Harris of the American Jewish Committee.

LISTEN at

http://www.ajc.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=ijITI2PHKoG&b=838485&c t=37573 95

Please contact Kenneth Bandler, AJC's Director of Communications, at bandlerk@ajc.org with any questions or comments. © 2006 American Jewish Committee

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org