From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Urges Prime Minister Olmert to Intervene on Behalf of Reform Rabbi

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:57:36 -0400

AJC Urges Prime Minister Olmert to Intervene on Behalf of Reform Rabbi

April 22, 2007 - Jerusalem - The American Jewish Committee is urging Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to intervene on behalf of Reform rabbi who was informed by local authorities that he would not be allowed to participate in a Yom Hazikaron ceremony in Israel tonight. Yom Hazikaron recalls all Israeli soldiers who fell in battle and occurs annually a day before Israel's Independence Day.

Rabbi Micky Boyden, who lost a son in battle in Lebanon, was told that the invitation to chant the prayer El Malei Rahamim was cancelled due to complaints by a small group of people who threatened to disrupt the ceremony over having a Reform Jew chant the prayer.

"Particularly at this time of year, between Yom HaShoah and Yom Haatzmaut, when Jews should be affirming what unites us, there are those who, tragically, would seek to divide us," wrote AJC Executive Director David A. Harris and AJC President E. Robert Goodkind in a letter to Prime Minister Olmert.

Coming so soon after former Sephardi Chief Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu's 'poisonous remarks" about Reform Jews, "we feel a responsibility to warn of the impression that is likely to be strengthened with each new incident of this type," wrote Goodkind and Harris.

They offered AJC's assistance in working with the prime minister to organize a forum that will address the ground rules for legitimate intra-Jewish debate and discussion.

The full AJC letter to Olmert follows:

The Honorable Ehud Olmert Office of the Prime Minister Kiryat Hamemshalah, Jerusalem Israel

Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

We were most gratified to read of your letter to our friends from the Reform Movement condemning the outrageous statement by the former Chief Rabbi, Mordecai Eliyahu, blaming Reform Judaism for the Shoah. Your words could not have been more timely or appropriate in the face of such bigoted, narrow-minded and divisive comments.

Unfortunately, another matter has now arisen relating to discrimination against non-Orthodox religious Jewry in Israel. Our Jerusalem Office has informed us of a shocking action taken by the local council of Hod Hasharon. Rabbi Micky Boyden is a Reform rabbi in that town and the father of Jonathan z"l, a soldier killed in battle in Lebanon. Rabbi Boyden was asked by Yad Libanim to chant El Malei Rahamim at the local ceremony of commemoration on Yom Hazikaron. As the Sabbath approached, he was informed by the Local Council that his invitation was cancelled due to complaints by a small group of people who threatened to disrupt the ceremony over having a Reform Jew chant the prayer.

This is scandalous behavior toward a father, and a family, who made the greatest sacrifice a parent can make. Moreover, coming so soon after Rabbi Eliyahu's poisonous remarks, we feel a responsibility to warn of the impression that is likely to be strengthened with each new incident of this type. More and more Jews could develop an ever growing sense that Israel is a country that tolerates expressions of discrimination and bigotry against them. This should never be the case in the State of Israel, a state that defines its essence as Jewish and democratic, and a state that all Jews everywhere should feel a sense of kinship and identity with, irrespective of how they choose to define their Jewish religious practice. Particularly at this time of year, between Yom HaShoah and Yom Haatzmaut, when Jews should be affirming what unites us, there are those who, tragically, would seek to divide us.

We would greatly appreciate your urgent intervention on behalf of Rabbi Boyden. On a deeper level, we urge a process of consultation under the auspices of your office that will address the ground rules for legitimate intra-Jewish debate and discussion. The American Jewish Committee would be pleased to assist in any effort to organize such a forum.

Respectfully,

E. Robert Goodkind, President

David A. Harris, Executive Director

American Jewish Committee