From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Africa Malaria Day 2007 / Catalyst: Ethics After Easter

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:34:09 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, April 25 in Easter. The Church calendar remembers Saint Mark the Evangelist. Today is also Africa Malaria Day 2007 and the first Malaria Awareness Day in the United States.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1879, New Testament scholar J. B. Lightfoot was consecrated Bishop of Durham. http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83028_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

Episcopal Relief and Development celebrates Africa Malaria Day 2007

[ERD] Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) commemorates Africa Malaria Day 2007, April 25. The theme for this year, created by the Roll Back Malaria Partnership, is "Leadership and Partnership for Results." It is also the first Malaria Awareness Day in the United States.

ERD is committed to combating this deadly disease through the NetsforLifeSM malaria prevention program, which aims to distribute one million long-lasting insecticide-treated nets and educate three to four million people in 16 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The program teaches people about the disease through community health education and awareness programs. NetsforLifeSM is a partnership of private donors, churches and corporations including Coca-Cola Africa Foundation, Standard Chartered Bank, the Exxon Mobil Foundation and the Starr Foundation.

To date, the program has trained more than 2,000 community malaria agents and distributed more than 210,000 long-lasting insecticide-treated nets in countries including Zambia, Kenya and the Democratic Republic of Congo. NetsforLifeSM addresses Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) #1, 4, 5, 6 and 8.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85265_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

4/26/2007 >> ALEXANDRIA, Virginia: Book signing at VTS

4/27/2007

>> ALEXANDRIA, Virginia: Frank Griswold keynote speaker for Mollegen Forum

4/28/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Stephanie Spellers offers one-day workshop at Trinity Church

COLUMBUS, Ohio: Consecration of the next Bishop of the Diocese of Southern Ohio

4/30/2007

>> HONDURAS: Mujeres Unidas en Liderazgo (MUEL) in Province IX

5/3/2007

>> CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts: 2007 Kellogg Lecture Series >> FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania: Gottlieb presents The Spirit of Parenting

5/4/2007

>> MACKINAN ISLAND, Michigan: Province V ECW Annual Meeting >> HUNT VALLEY, Maryland: Diocese of Maryland to meet in convention

5/5/2007

>> GROSSE POINTE, Michigan: Diocesan Ministry Fair

5/6/2007

>> HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina: Inaugural Lansing Lee Conference >> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Churches for Middle East Peace conference >> NEWBURGH, New York: Deirdre Good to discuss new book

5/8/2007 >> GARDEN CITY, New York: Clergy formation >> HOUSTON, Texas: David M. Weekley to address Leadership and Faith Luncheon

5/17/2007

>> NEW HAVEN, Connecticut: Faith as a Way of Life conference for pastoral leadership

5/18/2007

>> GROSSE POINTE, Michigan: Tribute to Fred DeHaven

5/19/2007

>> ERIE, Pennsylvania: Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania to elect new bishop

5/20/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral celebrates the state of California

5/21/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Group Spiritual Guidance offered at GTS

5/22/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice

5/23/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: National reconciliation seminar

5/28/2007

>> QUEENS, New York: Caribbean Anglican Consultation (CAC) Caribbean Clergy Conference

Music 4/28/2007 >> KISSIMMEE, Florida: Battle of the Bands

5/4/2007 >> SEATTLE, Washington: Annual Bach Concert >> BEVERLY HILLS, California: Evensong at All Saints' Parish

5/8/2007

>> ORLANDO, Florida: Young Musicians in Concert

5/20/2007

>> MANASSAS, Virginia: Choral Evensong for the Feast of the Ascension

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Ethics After Easter" from Cowley Publications, by Stephen Holmgren, 193 pages, paperback, c. 2000, $11.95

[Source: Cowley Publications] In this volume of The New Church's Teaching Series, Stephen Holmgren introduces us to the world of Anglican ethics and moral theology. He focuses on questions all people of faith must ask: How will I keep my baptismal promises? How am I meant to live "after Easter?"

In developing a distinctively Anglican approach to ethics, with its emphasis on holiness, sanctification, and the need for spiritual disciplines, Holmgren identifies clear axioms for Anglican moral theology and the ethos required for moral decision-making on the part of individuals and church bodies. He explains why ethical reflection is not the same as church governance, and why the institution cannot "make" its moral theology.

Holmgren also discusses the role of conscience and reason, the work of moral discernment, the difference between moral knowledge and saving knowledge, the meaning of natural law, and the high value Anglicans place on consensus. The final chapter provides a methodology for building a moral case in Christian ethics, specifically on Christian involvement with war and violence.

As with each book in The New Church's Teaching Series, recommended resources for further reading and questions for discussion are included.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.