From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Tell the story, turn chaos to Shalom, Presiding Bishop tells Communicators

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:49:28 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink April 25, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Tell the story, turn chaos to Shalom, Presiding Bishop tells Communicators * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Bishops challenge BBC on lack of religion on Radio 1 * WORLD REPORT - MIDDLE EAST: New Primate Mouneer Anis officially invested in diverse liturgy * OPINION - Net gains in the fight against malaria * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Fourth Sunday of Easter - Year C [RCL]

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Tell the story, turn chaos to Shalom, Presiding Bishop tells Communicators

By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service, Virginia Beach] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori challenged a gathering of Episcopal Communicators April 25 to engage gifts such as proclamation, witness, storytelling, moviemaking, language, images to help usher in the biblical vision of shalom, of equality and justice for everyone.

"There is something gravely and sinfully wrong with a world where the division between the rich and poor continues to expand, where some still live in palaces and recline on ivory couches while others starve outside their gates," she told about 120 parish, diocesan and national church communicators from around the country.

"In our day, the prophets still speak for a world where the hungry are fed, the ill are healed, where all children are educated and no one is denied the basic necessities of life."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85294_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Bishops challenge BBC on lack of religion on Radio 1 http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85292_ENG_HTM.htm

MIDDLE EAST: New Primate Mouneer Anis officially invested in diverse liturgy http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85290_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

Net gains in the fight against malaria

By Robert W. Radtke

ERD] April 25 is Africa Malaria Day, and the first-ever Malaria Awareness Day in the U.S. Not long ago, Americans would have needed no special reminder -- malaria was not eradicated here until 1951.

Today, a $1.2 billion President's Initiative on Malaria and Congressional efforts to restore $2.2 billion to the Global Fund demonstrate America's renewed focus on fighting the disease. But recalling that the U.S. and many other countries eliminated malaria in the last century, why is it epidemic now?

300 to 500 million people contracted it last year, more than 90 percent of them live in Africa. In hotspots like Zambia, malaria incidence tripled in the last 30 years. Global infection rates are rising too -- some three billion living in malaria-affected areas worldwide. Malaria now kills between one and three million annually and is the worst killer of children. 3,000 under age five die daily in sub-Saharan Africa alone.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_85272_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

SPIRITUAL REFLECTION

Fourth Sunday of Easter - Year C [RCL]

Acts 9:36-43; Psalm 23; Revelation 7:9-17; John 10:22-30

By Susan B. Snook

[Episcopal Life] The Twenty-Third Psalm is one of the most well-known chapters in the Bible. Countless people have memorized it, usually in the King James Version:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul; He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his Name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Many of us recall Sunday-school posters of this favorite psalm superimposed on beautiful painted pictures of Jesus on a grassy hillside, with a lamb over his shoulders, rescuing it from danger. Many children still get great comfort from the image of the kind and gentle Jesus who cares for all God's creatures. This is the Jesus who will stay with a child through a dark night filled with terrors: alligators under the bed and monsters in the closet. This is the Jesus who stays with adults too, through nights of weeping, and loneliness, and worry, and despair.

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_85266_ENG_HTM.htm