From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] People / Catalyst: A Land as God Made It

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:49:56 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Thursday, April 26 in Easter.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History:

On this day in 1607, the first English settlers made landfall in Chesapeake Bay, at a coastal point they named Cape Henry, near what is now Virginia Beach.

On this day in 1992, Episcopal Church of Our Savior and Community Center opened in the heart of Manhattan's Chinatown -- the first new Episcopal Church building in the City of New York in more than 30 years. http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_numbe r=92113

PEOPLE

Lloyd S. Casson of Delaware set to retire after 43 years of ministry http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_85238_ENG_HTM.htm

Diane Rehm to receive honorary degree from Virginia Theological Seminary http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_85261_ENG_HTM.htm

More People news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "A Land as God Made It: Jamestown and the Birth of America" from Basic Books, by James Horn, 337 pages, paperback, c. 2005, $15.95

[Source: Basic Books] Although it was the first permanent English settlement in North America, Jamestown is too often overlooked in the writing of American history. Founded thirteen years before the Mayflower sailed, Jamestown's courageous settlers have been overshadowed ever since by the pilgrims of Plymouth. But as historian James Horn demonstrates in this vivid and meticulously researched account, Jamestown -- not Plymouth -- was the true crucible of American history. Jamestown introduced slavery into English-speaking North America; it became the first of England's colonies to adopt a representative government; and it was the site of the first white-Indian clashes over territorial expansion. As we mark the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, A Land As God Made It offers the definitive account of the colony that give rise to America.

James Horn is O'Neill Director of the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library at The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and lecturer at the College of William & Mary. He has written and edited several books on topics in colonial and early American history. He lives in Williamsburg, Virginia.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.