From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Mission: Evolutionary theories addressed at ecumenical roundtable / Catalyst: Our Jamestown He

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:19:14 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Monday, April 30 in Easter. * Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1822, Hannibal Goodwin, rector of the Episcopal House of Prayer in Newark, New Jersey, is born in Taughannock, New York. Goodwin was responsible for 24 inventions during his life and received 15 patents. He is primarily remembered as the inventor of celluloid film for photography.

_____________________

Mission: Evolutionary theories addressed at ecumenical roundtable

By Phina Borgeson

[ENS] There are two walls of resistance to evolution, observed David Sloan Wilson, founder of the Evolutionary Studies Program at Binghamton University, in his April 20 address to the Ecumenical Roundtable on Science, Technology and the Church, in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"The one we pay the most attention to is creationism, but there is also a tendency on the part of many people to deny evolution's relevance to human affairs, and this is alive and well in academia," he said.

Wilson explained that his just-published book, "Evolution for Everyone," is a print adaptation of the class he teaches at Binghamton, an attempt to present evolutionary theory as alluring. Students from all fields of study and a variety of backgrounds have rated the class a success.

"This is not about me, but the reality that evolutionary theory is a powerful tool for improving and changing the world in a way that does not threaten the values of morality and hope for a better future," Wilson was quick to add.

Although a faculty member in the department of biology, Wilson's primary current interest is studying religion and related cultural movements, using the theoretical framework of evolution.

"Being with you at this meeting is very exciting for me -- where else will I find a group so well informed about both science and religion -- and not only informed but practicing," he said when welcomed by the audience of lay and ordained scientists from five denominations.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85391_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Our Jamestown Heritage" from Forward Movement, by Tony Clavier, 16 pages, pamphlet, c. 2007, $0.50

[Source: Forward Movement] In honor of the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement, the first Anglican presence in America, this pamphlet examines the history and spiritual practices of the Jamestown colony, explains how it differed from the other colonies emerging in the New World, and relates how these inform the Episcopal Church today.

Ideal as a tool for evangelism, it provides a clear understanding of how our present worship and beliefs pay tribute to the spiritual heritage brought to these shores four hundred years ago.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.