From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Presiding Bishop urges Nigerian Primate to reconsider plans to install bishop / May

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 1 May 2007 18:13:43 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink May 1, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop urges Nigerian Primate to reconsider plans to install bishop * TOP STORY - Robert M. Wolterstorff, first bishop of San Diego, dies at 92 * TOP STORY - First Landing reenactment focus of May 6 bulletin insert * DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTH CAROLINA: Court says church membership rulings rest with higher authorities * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Groups issue cautions on same-sex resolutions * OPINION - With apologies to Dana Carvey: Writer learns to appreciate the strengths and charms of real 'church ladies' * ARTS - A wealth of Anglican art

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Presiding Bishop urges Nigerian Primate to reconsider plans to install bishop Actions would violate ancient customs, display division and disunity, Jefferts Schori says

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has written to Nigerian Primate Peter J. Akinola asking him to reconsider plans to install Martyn Minns as a bishop in the Convocation of Anglicans in North America (CANA), an action she says "would violate the ancient customs of the church" and would "not help the efforts of reconciliation."

Such action, Jefferts Schori added, "would display to the world division and disunity that are not part of the mind of Christ, which we must strive to display to all."

The installation service, set for May 5 the Hylton Memorial Chapel, a nondenominational Christian Event Center in Woodbridge, Virginia, is intended to install Minns as bishop of CANA, which describes itself as "an Anglican missionary effort in the US sponsored by the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85463_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Robert M. Wolterstorff, first bishop of San Diego, dies at 92

[Episcopal News Service] Retired Bishop Robert M. Wolterstorff, who was elected in 1973 as the first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, died peacefully in his sleep April 24. Wolterstorff, 92, died 10 days after suffering a heart attack, San Diego Canon to the Ordinary Howard Smith told the Associated Press (AP).

Wolterstorff was elected December 7, 1973 while he was rector of St. James By-the-Sea Episcopal Church, La Jolla, California, which is part of the San Diego diocese. He was consecrated Bishop of San Diego on March 30, 1974 and served until 1982.

Wolterstorff made organizing the new diocese, carved out of the Diocese of Los Angeles, his top priority.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85382_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

First Landing reenactment focus of May 6 bulletin insert

[Episcopal Life This Week] To mark the April 26 commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the English settlers' first landing at what is now Virginia Beach, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori and Episcopalians from across the church shared in a reenactment of the arrival of the expedition's three ships. One actor portrayed English priest Robert Hunt, who led the first Anglican services for those who established Jamestown as the first permanent English settlement North America. Story and photos are carried in Episcopal Life This Week bulletin insert formats for Sunday, May 6.

Bulletin inserts are available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_8852_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

SOUTH CAROLINA: Court says church membership rulings rest with higher authorities http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_85476_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Groups issue cautions on same-sex resolutions http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85453_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

With apologies to Dana Carvey

Writer learns to appreciate the strengths and charms of real 'church ladies'

By Margaret D. McGee

[Episcopal Life] Do you remember Dana Carvey's portrayal of the "Church Lady" on Saturday Night Live in the 1980s? Pursed lips, hair in a bun, support hose, thick-heeled shoes, a voice like a serrated fish knife? She had a passion for finding sin in every member of her congregation. Lust was her favorite vice, and she found it everywhere.

Lately, that image keeps coming back to me. I always thought it was a riot, and I thought it had more than a grain of truth to it. Recently though, in thinking about my parish and its "church ladies," I wonder. I still think Carvey's portrayal hilarious, but I no longer am so sure about that grain of truth.

I was a prodigal daughter when I returned to my mother church. I had a spiritually dissipated past. The welcome I received from the rector and others at St. Paul's Church, Port Townsend, Washington, startled me. Could I have underestimated Christians for all those years?

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_85449_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

ARTS

A wealth of Anglican art

By Gary Freeman

[Episcopal Life] Religion always has been the impetus for art, good and bad. Where there was belief there was expression. James B. Simpson and George H. Eatman sought to display a tiny corner of honorable artistic expression that the world's Anglican Communion had preserved when they produced A Treasury of Anglican Art (Rizzoli, New York).

Treasury, though no longer available from the publisher, brought together in colorful and thoughtful fashion 224 pages of history and liturgy of a church community that blossomed from its Roman roots.

The impetus for the book was born out of a lunch at the Cosmos Club, a meeting place for intellectuals, in Washington, D.C. "Jim [Reverend James Simpson, then retired] told me of his idea of a volume on Anglican art. I am a cradle Episcopalian with a long family history in Colonial churches and later in the Episcopal Church," explained co-author George Eatman, who was then practicing law and teaching a course in church history at Sewanee.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_85467_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm