From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Teaching: Union of Black Episcopalians to focus on reconciliation July 2-6 in Houston / Cataly

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 8 May 2007 10:53:10 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, May 8, 2007, in Easter. The Church calendar remembers Dame Julian of Norwich (1342-1417).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1528, William Tyndale's Parable of Wicked Mammon was printed. _ _ _

TEACHING

Union of Black Episcopalians to focus on reconciliation July 2-6 in Houston Presiding Bishop to preach at Reconciliation Eucharist

By Daphne Mack

[Episcopal News Service] The 39th annual meeting and conference of the Union of Black Episcopalians (UBE) is set for July 2-6 at the Hilton Americas Hotel in Houston, Texas. An estimated 300 Episcopalians will gather under the theme "Telling Our Story: Hearing God's Call for Reconciliation" for a time of reflection, renewal, and some re-visioning.

"Our theme of reconciliation provides an opportunity for us, as black people living in these times, to indeed walk with God," said Dianne Audrick Smith, annual meeting coordinator. "It is a family reunion time in the church where we see old friends, get caught up, and have an opportunity to stretch our minds theologically."

The five-day intergenerational assemblage, hosted by the John Dublin Epps Chapter of UBE and the Diocese of Texas, will celebrate the lives, contributions, and sacrifices of people of color and women clergy.

"It [the conference] is a chance to better understand some of the key issues facing the church in general and the black church specifically," said Smith. "We are treated to times of meditation and then jump into the fray of the church as a political animal."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85695_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "Revelations of Divine Love" from Penguin Group, by Julian of Norwich, 240 pages, paperback, c. 1999, $14

[Source: Penguin Group] Without any special study of the literature of mysticism for purposes of comparison, in reading Julian's book one is struck by a few characteristics wherein it differs from many other mystical writings, as well as by qualities that belong to most or all of that general designation. Julian does not set out to teach methods of any kind for the gradual drawing near of man to God, but to record and show forth a revelation, granted once, of God's actual nearness to the soul, and for this revelation she herself had been prepared by the stirring of her conscience, her love and her understanding, in a word of her faith.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.