From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Honduras diocese will welcome Presiding Bishop, highlight partnership with Episcopal

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 9 May 2007 08:09:07 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink May 8, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Honduras diocese will welcome Presiding Bishop, highlight partnership with Episcopal Relief and Development * DIOCESAN DIGEST - KANSAS: Tornadoes leave path of devastation; ERD, local dioceses offer prayers, support * WORLD REPORT - ANGLICAN COMMUNION: Panel of Reference reviews work * WORLD REPORT - AUSTRALIA: Bible translated into indigenous Kriol language * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Primatial candidate profiles now online * WORLD REPORT - KENYA: Churches console victims of plane crash in Cameroon * WORLD REPORT - MELANESIA: Selwyn College Chapel Appeal tops fifty thousand dollars * OPINION - Echoes of history: Today's church can choose a better polity path than Cuthbert's compromise * ARTS - Different Bible translations guided author along the way

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Honduras diocese will welcome Presiding Bishop, highlight partnership with Episcopal Relief and Development

[Episcopal News Service] Underscoring the partnership of the Diocese of Honduras and Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD), Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori and ERD president Robert W. Radtke will visit Honduras May 10-13.

Hosted by Honduras Bishop and Province 9 president Lloyd Allen, the visit will highlight the commitment of local Episcopalians and ERD supporting primary health care initiatives, food security programs, and in addressing the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Honduras, one of the Central American nations with high rates of infection. These initiatives serve more than 200,000 people, leaders say.

"Our diocese is looking forward to welcoming our new Presiding Bishop," Allen said. "We hope that the visit will give her a chance to observe first hand the vitality of the ministry being carried out by our people for our people, and how they are able to accomplish so much in our diocese, a local context that, it is fair to say, is far removed from the domestic American experience of the Church. While it is being reported that membership is declining in some dioceses, in ours, and in fact, in all of Province 9, our church is growing fast."

The visit will emphasize "the effectiveness of the outreach programs being carried out with ERD's support, our vast needs and the scarcity of our resources," Allen said. "We hope the visit will encourage increased support for our ministry among the neediest."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_85764_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

KANSAS: Tornadoes leave path of devastation; ERD, local dioceses offer prayers, support http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_85765_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ANGLICAN COMMUNION: Panel of Reference reviews work http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85757_ENG_HTM.htm

AUSTRALIA: Bible translated into indigenous Kriol language http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85753_ENG_HTM.htm

CANADA: Primatial candidate profiles now online http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85714_ENG_HTM.htm

KENYA: Churches console victims of plane crash in Cameroon http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85755_ENG_HTM.htm

MELANESIA: Selwyn College Chapel Appeal tops fifty thousand dollars http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_85752_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

Echoes of history

Today's church can choose a better polity path than Cuthbert's compromise

By Nigel J. Taber-Hamilton

[Episcopal Life] On March 20, as I was reading -- on his day -- about St. Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, I was struck yet again by the cyclical nature of history and of our faith.

Cuthbert (circa 635 A.D. to March 20, 687 A.D.) was the direct Christian heir of Patrick, Columba and Aidan, which means that he was the direct beneficiary of the Celtic Christianity that literally saved Western Civilization during the Dark Ages, making Britain a central and significant repository of Christian learning.

A Celtic monk, Cuthbert is known today for his work at the Synod of Whitby, 664 A.D.

At Whitby, representatives of centralizing Roman and disbursed Celtic Christianity met to decide on what date Easter should be celebrated, since each used a different date.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_85720_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

ARTS

Different Bible translations guided author along the way

By Diana Butler Bass

[Episcopal Life] On September 24, 1967, my Methodist Sunday school teacher gave me my first Bible, the Revised Standard Edition, as a gift upon entering the third grade. When I was a girl, I carried it out to the woods near my house to read privately and pray -- enthralled by the Psalms, stories of Old Testament heroes and Jesus' teachings.

I read it like a book, starting with Genesis and trying to read to the end. Every summer, I attempted to read the whole thing. I cannot even remember how many times I read Genesis and the early bits of Exodus -- only to stop somewhere around the Ten Commandments and skip around to whatever interested me.

That Bible now sits on a shelf behind my writing desk, its yellowed pages growing brittle. Next to it sit other Bibles I have owned.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_85761_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm