From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: What Have They Done With Jesus

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 9 May 2007 12:45:47 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, May 9, 2007, in Easter. The Church calendar remembers Gregory of Nazianzus, Bishop of Constantinople (329-389).

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1985, the board of trustees of the Episcopal Divinity School unanimous voted to appoint the Rt. Rev. Otis Charles, Bishop of Utah, as dean.

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

5/10/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Acclaimed thinkers to gather to discuss innovation, tradition

5/12/2007

>> SEATTLE, Washington: Diocese of Olympia to meet in special convention >> NEW MILFORD, Connecticut: Tea and conversation

5/13/2007

>> LAWRENCEVILLE, Virginia: Ifill commencement speaker for Historically Black Episcopal College

5/15/2007

>> GARDEN CITY, New York: Human resource workshop

5/17/2007

>> ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey: Founder of HipHopEMass installed as rector of Ascension >> NEW HAVEN, Connecticut: Faith as a Way of Life conference for pastoral leadership

5/18/2007

>> GROSSE POINTE, Michigan: Tribute to Fred DeHaven >> BERKELEY, California: Griswold and Vergara to receive honorary degrees from CDSP

5/19/2007

>> ERIE, Pennsylvania: Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania to elect new bishop >> FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas: McMichael Lecture Series >> GREENVILLE, South Carolina: The 85th Diocesan Convention of Upper South Carolina

5/20/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral celebrates the state of California

5/21/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Group Spiritual Guidance offered at GTS

5/22/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice

5/23/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: National reconciliation seminar >> BOGOTA, Colombia: Diocese of Colombia to meet in convention

5/28/2007

>> QUEENS, New York: Caribbean Anglican Consultation (CAC) Caribbean Clergy Conference

Music

5/11/2007

>> HOUSTON, Texas: Benefit concert at Christ Church Cathedral

5/17/2007

>> BEVERLY HILLS, California: Missa Mystica on Ascension Day

5/19/2007

>> FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania: A concert of magical tales

5/20/2007

>> MANASSAS, Virginia: Choral Evensong for the Feast of the Ascension >> BRYN MAWR, Pennsylvania: Final Great Concerts for Great Causes >> SANTA BARBARA, California: Pipings at Trinity Church

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "What Have They Done with Jesus? Beyond Strange Theories And Bad History--Why We Can Trust the Bible" from HarperCollins Publishers, by Ben Witherington III, 388 pages, hardcover, c. 2007, $24.95

[Source: HarperCollins Publishers] Strange theories about Jesus seem to ooze from our culture with increasing regularity. Ben Witherington, one of the top Jesus scholars, will have none of it. There were no secret Gnostic teachings in the first century. With leading scholars and popular purveyors of bad history in his crosshairs, Witherington reveals what we can -- and cannot -- claim to know about the real Jesus. The Bible, not outside sources, is still the most trustworthy historical record we have today.

Utilizing a fresh "personality profile" approach, Witherington highlights core Christian claims by investigating the major figures in Jesus's inner circle of followers: Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene, Thomas, Peter, James the brother of Jesus, Paul, and the mysterious "beloved disciple." In each chapter Witherington satisfies our curiosities and answers the full range of questions about these key figures and what each of them can teach us about the historical Jesus. What Have They Done with Jesus? is a vigorous defense of traditional Christianity that offers a compelling portrait of Jesus's core message according to those who knew him best.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.