From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Two Reformed Churches, CRWRC and RCA, Form Disaster Response Partnership

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 10:56:37 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

REFORMED CHURCH IN AMERICA CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH IN NORTH AMERICA

Paul Boice,

Director of Communication Reformed Church in America, 616-698-7071, ext. 255 email - pboice@rca.org

Beth Degraff, Media Relations for CRWRC, 800-552-7972, ext. 4191. Email - degraffb@crcna.org

CRWRC AND RCWS SIGN PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT

(MAY 11, 2007) Grand Rapids, Michigan - CRWRC's Disaster Response Services and the Reformed Church in America's office of Reformed Church World Service signed a partnership agreement today that both agencies believe will enable them to respond more effectively when disasters strike here in North America.

The partnership will "allow us to strengthen our disaster response capacity without reinventing the wheel," according to Betty Voskuil, Coordinator of Reformed Church World Service. "When disaster strikes, we'll be able to plug our volunteers into CRWRC's disaster response network." The partnership will also benefit CRWRC by providing an infusion of skilled construction workers and team leaders from the RCA. "We're excited about our partnership with the Reformed Church in America," says Bill Adams, Director of CRWRC Disaster Relief Services. "This partnership recognizes the great relationship that we've had for years, as we work side-by-side to bring honor to God by helping those in need...."

The inter-denominational partnership will formalize and expand an informal working relationship that has existed for some time. Dan and Merilyn De Vries, members of Zion Reformed Church in Grandville, Michigan, have served as volunteers with CRWRC Disaster Relief Services for over a decade and will soon become Needs Assessment Managers. "We like how well organized it is," Merilyn says, "and feel confident that the dollars donated are put to good use." Told about the new partnership, Dan De Vries said, "I think it makes good sense. It gives the ability to pool the resources of both organizations. This will provide more capacity to respond following a natural disaster."

Jay Harsevoort, Coordinator of Volunteers for the Reformed Church in America, helped craft the agreement. "I'm excited to be able to connect the RCA's skilled volunteers into a respected organization like CRWRC-DRS, says Harsevoort, "and then directly into the needs after a disaster. It just makes a lot of sense to work together."