From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Tennessee church finds a creative way to support international mission

From Presbyterian News Service <newsservice@ctr.pcusa.org>
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 09:31:24 -0400 (EDT)

View this story online at

http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07278.htm [http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=96x694bab.0.7ir494bab.9dc9s4bab.2056&ts=S0254&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcusa.org%2Fpcnews%2F2007%2F07278.htm].

07278 May 14, 2007

Tennessee church finds a creative way to support international mission

Members challenged to give $2 per month for a year

by Pat Cole Associate for Communication

LOUISVILLE - First Presbyterian Church of Columbia, TN, believes financial support of international mission personnel can be as easy as 1-2-3.

First Presbyterian is challenging each member to give $2 per month for a year to support Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) international mission personnel. The church named the effort the "1-2-3 Offering" to remind parishioners that the offering is taken on the first Sunday of every month, that a $2 donation is requested, and that funds collected will support the third century of mission by U.S. Presbyterians.

The idea for the offering has its roots in an address that Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) World Mission Program Area staff member Bruce Whearty gave at a Middle Tennessee Presbytery meeting in February.

Whearty pointed out that a $2 contribution from all 2.3 million Presbyterians would more than solve the projected funding shortfall for mission personnel during the next two-year budget cycle that begins Jan. 1, 2009. World Mission staff leaders have estimated that between $3.5 million and $4 million in additional funding will be needed to keep the number of mission personnel at the current level during that budget cycle.

"That resonated with me," says Wilmoth Foreman, a member of First Presbyterian's Mission Committee, "and I thought, 'What if our church did that, and what if we tried it every month for a year?'"

Foreman took the idea to the church's Mission Committee. The committee and the session enthusiastically supported the proposal, says the Rev. Bill Williamson, the church's pastor. "I think it's a creative idea. We want everybody to give $2, both kids and adults."

What if somebody gives more than $2? "We won't turn down more than $2, but we're really serious that we're not expecting more than $2 per person," Williamson insists. "I've never heard of an upper limit, but after all there is good Biblical precedent."

He notes that the book of Exodus says that people of Israel gave so much during the building of the tabernacle that Moses told them to give no more. If the 500-member congregation reaches its goal, it will donate $12,000 for the support of PC(USA) mission personnel. The congregation collected $570 during its first offering on May 6.

The congregation will continue to receive contributions for the May installment of the offering throughout the month. Receipts will be forwarded to Extra Commitment Opportunity #132192, which is dedicated to funding PC(USA) mission personnel salaries and benefits.

Supporting Presbyterian international mission is a key part of the Presbyterian heritage, Williamson explains. That point was made clear in Whearty's address to the presbytery, he says. "He reminded us of that tradition. That's who we are. We are a people of mission. We get the word out that Jesus is Lord through mission."

Foreman, who in recent years took a mission trip to Kenya, says that experience probably helped motivate her leadership in the 1-2-3 Offering. "That may have subconsciously factored in because Bruce said how much can be done when money is used appropriately," Foreman says. "I saw firsthand what can be done in communities in evangelism, health care and education."

Whearty, who with his wife, Lora, served as mission workers in the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu, preached for the Columbia congregation during its May 6 worship service. "We celebrated together the PC(USA)'s renewed commitment to secure support for God's mission around the world," Whearty says.

"I was inspired to see the creative response that this congregation is making to meet the need for increased support of mission personnel."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.pcusa.org/ [http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=96x694bab.0.ivtnu4bab.9dc9s4bab.2056&ts=S0254&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcusa.org%2F]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Forward email http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101645285498&ea=wfn-editors@wfn.org&a=1101653794746

This email was sent to wfn-editors@wfn.org, by newsservice@ctr.pcusa.org

Update Profile/Email Address

http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1101645285498&ea=wfn-editors%40wfn.org&se=2056&t=1101653794746&lang=en&reason=F

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)

http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101645285498&ea=wfn-editors%40wfn.org&se=2056&t=1101653794746&lang=en&reason=F

Privacy Policy:

http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Email Marketing by Constant Contact(R) www.constantcontact.com

Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) | 100 Witherspoon Street | Louisville | KY | 40202