From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

FW: [AJC] Radio Message: Take Action Now for Energy Independence

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 13:53:59 -0400

AJC Radio Message: Take Action Now for Energy Independence

May 16, 2007 - New York - American Jewish Committee Executive Director David A. Harris, in his national radio commentary, urges listeners to take action for energy independence, and offers several examples of AJC initiatives. "For the sake of America's security, environment and economy, we need greater energy independence. Starting today, not tomorrow. And each of us can play a role," says Harris on the CBS radio network during the Osgood File. All AJC radio commentaries since 2001 are available at www.ajc.org.   The full text of this week's commentary follows:

It's been years, actually decades, in coming.

And we're not there yet.

But America is finally waking up to the danger of our dependence on oil from hostile sources.

Political and business leaders are talking about it. The media is reporting on it. These are all good signs.

What we now need is a quick shift from talk to action. AJC has been leading by example.

We were the first non-profit agency to offer cash incentives to our staff to buy fuel-efficient vehicles. If you're an employer, why not do the same? We're hoping to become one of the first non-profits in the country to be certified green. Why not do the same with your business?

And we've been busy urging our nation's lawmakers to get serious, get bipartisan, and get going on moving our nation forward. Join us in this effort.

For the sake of America's security, environment and economy, we need greater energy independence. Starting today, not tomorrow. And each of us can play a role.

Visit ajc.org.

This is David Harris of the American Jewish Committee.

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org