From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] People / Catalyst: Grace in Practice

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 13:21:24 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Thursday, May 17, 2007, in Easter. The Church calendar remembers Ascension Day.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1913, William Croswell Doane died. In 1869, Doane became the first Bishop of Albany.

_____________________

PEOPLE

Presiding Bishop to visit Diocese of Indianapolis June 15-17 http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86011_ENG_HTM.htm

Paul Zahl to resign as dean and president of Trinity Episcopal School of Ministry http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_85793_ENG_HTM.htm

Ian Markham to succeed Martha Horne as dean and president of Virginia Theological Seminary http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86027_ENG_HTM.htm

Henry L. King receives Servant of Justice Award http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86013_ENG_HTM.htm

Judy Krum's hymn selected for 175th Anniversary of the Episcopal Diocese of Vermont http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86015_ENG_HTM.htm

CLUE to honor Richard W. Gillett of Los Angeles http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_85794_ENG_HTM.htm

Three Episcopal school students honored in Washington, D.C., for volunteerism http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86008_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81839_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Grace in Practice: A Theology of Everyday Life" from Wm B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., by Paul F. M. Zahl, 267 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $18

[Source: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.] Grace in Practice is a challenging call to live life under grace -- a concept most Christians secretly have trouble with. Paul Zahl pulls no punches, contending that no matter how often we talk about salvation by grace, in our "can-do" society we often cling instead to a righteousness of works. Asserting throughout that grace always trumps both law and church, Zahl illuminates an expansive view of grace in everything, extending the good news of grace to all creation. Conversationally written and filled with fascinating insights, Grace in Practice will reward any Christian who seeks to understand the full measure of God's grace and the total freedom it offers.

Paul F. M. Zahl is dean and president of Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry, Ambridge, Pennsylvania. He is the author of several books, including The First Christian: Universal Truth in the Teachings of Jesus and A Short Systematic Theology.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.