From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Mission: ELCA's Global Mission Event to imagine 'New Heaven and New Earth' / Catalyst: Late Ha

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 09:45:44 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Monday, May 21, 2007, in Easter. * Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1981, John Forsythe Ashby was consecrated as the second bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Kansas at St. John's Military School.

_____________________

MISSION

ELCA's Global Mission Event to imagine 'New Heaven and New Earth'

[ENS] Episcopalians active in world mission will have a unique opportunity to connect ecumenically at the Global Mission Event 2007, sponsored by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA). Themed "New Heaven and New Earth," the event will be held July 19-22 at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.

On Saturday, July 21, several workshops will be led by Episcopalians, including Lauren Stanley (The Church in Sudan: Bringing Hope to a War-torn Land); Kim Robey (The Power of Women of Faith Working for Global Good); and Elyn MacInnis (Working in China: Cultural Differences -- A Challenge and a Delight). A reception for Episcopal attendees will be held from 5-7 p.m. on July 21 at St. Stephens Episcopal Church on the campus of Ohio State University. One-day event passes are available through online registration.

In addition to plenary sessions and Global University workshops, GME will offer mission engagement through prayer, song, art activities, and food for every age group, including children 3-10, junior high, and high school youth.

To register, visit http://www.elca.org/gme, or contact Mary Brennan mbrennan@episcopalchurch.org at 212-716-6223 for further information.

The Episcopal Church and the ELCA entered into a "full communion" relationship on January 1, 2001, on the basis of the document "Called to Common Mission," culminating 30 years of dialogue with one another.

Further information about the full communion relationship between the two churches is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/6947_6995_ENG_HTM.htm.

Catalyst: "Late Have I Loved Thee: Selected Writings of Saint Augustine of Love" from Random House, Inc, preface by James J. O'Donnell, edited by John F. Thornton and Susan B. Varenne, 413 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $14.95

[Source: Random House, Inc.] -- Late Have I Loved Thee is the first collection of Saint Augustine's varied writings on human and divine love, chosen to reflect his lifelong preoccupation with ordo amoris, the principle of rightly directed love. "My weight is my love," he writes in The Confessions. He sees our ability to love as disordered by sin, so that we often choose badly what and how to love. Only by recognizing that we are commanded to love God first can any other object of our love be properly ordered, Late Have I Loved Thee draws on the riches found in Augustine's sermons, letters, treatises, and Scripture commentaries, as well as passages from The Confessions and City of God.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.