From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Decision on Lambeth Conference invitations draws reaction / May 27 bulletin insert f

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 08:38:59 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink May 22, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Decision on Lambeth Conference invitations draws reaction * TOP STORY - First Lambeth Conference invitations sent out * TOP STORY - May 27 bulletin insert features Presiding Bishop's Pentecost message * DIOCESAN DIGEST - EAST TENNESSEE: Diocese releases manual to aid parishes in disaster preparation * DIOCESAN DIGEST - PITTSBURGH: Diocesan leadership admits to division on future direction * WORLD REPORT - AFRICA: Teach water management, Ugandan official urges churches * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Church calls for Government to end the destitution of failed asylum seekers * ARTS - Brooklyn theater troupe bounces back from loss * OPINION - Ancient monk, modern call: Oblates of St. Benedict apply sixth-century Rule to today's life, faith, foodstuffs

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Decision on Lambeth Conference invitations draws reaction

By Matthew Davies and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Archbishop of Canterbury's decision to withhold a small number of invitations to the 2008 Lambeth Conference of Bishops drew reaction as soon as the announcement was made public May 22.

The once-a-decade gathering of Anglican Communion bishops is due to be held July 16-August 4 at the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. About 880 invitations are being sent out from the Archbishop, Dr. Rowan Williams.

The Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon, secretary general of the Anglican Communion, confirmed to Episcopal News Service that Bishop Gene Robinson of New Hampshire and Martyn Minns, bishop of the Church of Nigeria-founded Convocation of Anglicans in North America (CANA) are among the "small number of bishops" who have not been invited to the 2008 conference.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86240_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

First Lambeth Conference invitations sent out

[Episcopal News Service] The first invitations for the 2008 Lambeth Conference were sent out by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, to more than 800 bishops of the Anglican Communion, a May 22 media release from Lambeth Palace and the Anglican Communion Office announced.

The once-a-decade conference will be held at the University of Kent, Canterbury, from July 16-August 4 and is "set to be the largest Lambeth Conference in the history of the Anglican Communion," the media release said.

Full story, Williams' letter and the media release: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86175_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Episcopal Life This Week: Bulletin Insert for May 27, 2007

Episcopal Life This Week bulletin inserts feature Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's message for Pentecost, observed on May 27, and provide ideas on becoming involved in the Episcopal Church & Visual Arts (ECVA).

Bulletin inserts are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_8852_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

EAST TENNESSEE: Diocese releases manual to aid parishes in disaster preparation http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86222_ENG_HTM.htm

PITTSBURGH: Diocesan leadership admits to division on future direction http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86221_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

AFRICA: Teach water management, Ugandan official urges churches http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86220_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND: Church calls for Government to end the destitution of failed asylum seekers http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86216_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

ARTS

Brooklyn theater troupe bounces back from loss

[Episcopal Life] The Paper Moon Players, a 25-year-old Brooklyn theater group, is bouncing back to life after a fire swept through its playhouse behind the Emmanuel Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Long Island, in May.

Church officials are not sure at this date whether it is feasible to repair their damaged recreational space used by the Paper Moon Players and a number of other community groups.

In the meantime, in true Broadway fashion and with the support of church officials, The Paper Moon Players say they will soldier on and continue their hard-luck season inside the Emmanuel Episcopal Church itself -- which was not damaged in the blaze.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_86226_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

OPINION

Ancient monk, modern call

Oblates of St. Benedict apply sixth-century Rule to today's life, faith, foodstuffs

By Ron Beathard

[Episcopal Life] My friends are dull -- good people; I love them all -- but dull as dishwater. Sometimes they surprise, and this is one of those times.

Buddy, a friend from our Air Force days, was in town on business a few months ago. During one of our conversations, he said he thought it would be cool to be a monk. But he couldn't take it all the time.

"I asked my priest," Buddy started, "the Rev. Dave Halt, if there was a religious organization where by day I could be a monk and pray and meditate and do good works, then, when I punched out at five, go home and read the sports page and eat pizza, watch Seinfeld and eat pizza, then turn on a classic Rocky or Terminator flick and eat cold pizza?

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_86228_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm