From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Multimedia: Gerry Blackburn on Episcopal chaplains / Catalyst: Love's Immensity

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 08:46:35 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Friday, May 25, 2007, in Easter. The Church calendar remembers Bede, the Venerable, priest, and monk of Jarrow (672-735)

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1805, William Paley, English divine, Christian apologist, utilitarian, and philosopher, died. _____________________

MULTIMEDIA

Gerry Blackburn on Episcopal chaplains

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Gerry Blackburn, director of Federal chaplaincies for the Episcopal Church, speaks about the work of Episcopal chaplains who provide a ministry of presence in various contexts throughout the world, as a reminder that wherever people are God is very much still there.

A video stream of Blackburn's interview is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm.

Catalyst: "Love's Immensity: Mystics on the Endless Life" from Paraclete Press, by Scott Cairns, 143 pages, hardcover, c. 2007, $21.95

[Source: Paraclete Press] From Saint Paul to Julian of Norwich, the original texts of these mystical fathers and mothers of the Church have been pored over, pressed for further revelation, and set in verse to provide readers with fresh encounters of their wisdom and provocations.

At the heart of this undertaking is Scott Cairns' conviction that the words of the mystics sacramentally partake of the Word Himself, and as such are inexhaustible, generative powers. These particular selections cohere in their common claim that Love is the most compelling name of God, and also the most apt attribute of the Holy One in Whom we live and move and have our being. In that spirit, these luminous texts are understood to partake of Love, and concurrently to witness to His presence and His promise that, as "our Courteous Lord" averred to Julian, "All will be well, all will be well, all manner of things will be well."

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.