From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC NEWS: Harnessing the Learning Explosion

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 17:15:28 -0400

May 30, 2007, Grand Rapids, Mich. - People measure success in many ways. Tests. Accomplishments. But when you talk about pre-schoolers, the best measure comes from the youngsters themselves.

At least that's the case of Penny Harris of Fellowship CRC in Albuquerque, New Mexico. "I see James and DJ come out of their lesson and they are so excited. They want to tell the stories. Watching them, you know the two boys are getting it."

Such words are gratifying to Pat Nederveld, long-time early childhood editor for Faith Alive Christian Resources (www.faithaliveresources.org <http://www.faithaliveresources.org/> ), the publishing ministry of the Christian Reformed Church.

"I'm passionate about how little ones learn. In preschool there's a learning explosion going on." Nederveld helped harness that explosion in four programs: God Loves Me, Little Lambs, Story Hour, and Walk With Me Preschool.

Originally written for the typical Sunday school setting, these programs have been embraced by pre-schools operating from a number of traditions.

For Maureen Peters of Swisher, Iowa, the simple story line and pictures of God Loves Me matches the mission of her preschool, an outreach of Shueyville United Methodist. "We love the simple storyline and the pictures, and how there's a prayer at the end."

Simplicity and focus are the keys to fitting the young child's learning style, note Nederveld. Another key element has been using multiple intelligences in every lesson. "Kids' learning style is pretty much hands on," she continues. "It's easier for little kids to engage the range of intelligences-people think it's ok for little kids."

The approach matched what Karla Whittey was looking for at Luther Preschools in Bismarck, North Dakota. "I like how Story Hour takes a lesson and carries it all the way through classroom, craft time, dramatic play time, and then there are things you can put on the sensory table."

And for Lisa Lautenbach at Orland Park (Chicago) CRC, the kid-centered approach of Little Lambs is just right for their Coffee Break Ministry. "The curriculum helps to tie it in with kids' language. It brings you to their level. Plus it has great crafts, snacks-the things kids get real excited about."

For many small churches, the variety of choices makes the program easier to teach. That's the case for Jennifer Lindsay, a member of a small PCA congregation in California, who uses Walk With Me Preschool. "Teachers like that there are different things to do," she explains. "It's just nice to hand it to a person and say, this is your lesson plan for this week.

The focus on a simple message also keeps the lessons positive. In Angleton, Texas, Billie Carr can't say enough about God Loves Me. "We love that curriculum. It's so positive and refreshing. It's the first Bible story curriculum that is age appropriate."

Or as Nederveld puts it, "when working with preschoolers, you can't depend on abstract thinking. You have to trust the story to work."

Henry Hess

Director of Communication

Christian Reformed Church

mailto:hessh@crcna.ca