From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Latin America, Caribbean bishops uphold diversity of Anglicanism / New publisher for

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 18:17:05 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink May 31, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Latin America, Caribbean bishops uphold diversity of Anglicanism * TOP STORY - Church Pension Group announces new publisher for Church Publishing Inc. * WORLD REPORT - ANGLICAN COMMUNION: Communiqué from the Anglican-Lutheran International Commission * WORLD REPORT - KENYA: Church leaders want action against violent Mungiki group * WORLD REPORT - NIGERIA: Christian Association honors outgoing President Olusegun Obasanjo * FEATURE - Since You Asked about demographics

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Latin America, Caribbean bishops uphold diversity of Anglicanism

[Episcopal News Service] Anglican bishops from Latin America and the Caribbean, meeting in San José, Costa Rica, May 18-22, released a declaration reaffirming their call for the Anglican Communion "to preserve its participative nature, diverse, ample and inclusive," characteristics they say are essential to Anglicanism.

The declaration was signed by 21 bishops, including the Primates of Brazil, Central America and Mexico, and Bishop Lloyd Allen of Honduras, president of the Episcopal Church's Province IX.

Saying they represent the "plurality and diversity that are universal characteristics of Anglicanism," the bishops acknowledged that they "hold different positions on the themes that are presently discussed in the Communion." However, they continued, "we have also experienced that the plurality and diversity we represent has become a rich source for growth, rather than a cause for controversy and division."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86450_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Church Pension Group announces new publisher for Church Publishing Inc.

[Church Publishing Incorporated] T. Dennis Sullivan, president of the Church Pension Group, recently announced the appointment of Davis Perkins as Church Publishing Inc.'s (CPI) new publisher.

"The appointment of Mr. Perkins as publisher is an important and positive step in the implementation of our long-term strategic plan," said Sullivan. "He brings strong, long-term denominational publishing experience coupled with a knowledge of and passion for the kinds of materials we publish. His unique knowledge, skills, and experience are an excellent fit with the diversity of imprints that now make up Church Publishing Inc."

A denominational publisher, editor, and writer for 32 years, Perkins comes to CPI from the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC), where, for the past 13 years, he has served as president and publisher. PPC includes the imprints Westminster John Knox Press, Geneva Press, and The Thoughtful Christian.com. His previous positions include senior editor of Academic & Reference Books, Abingdon Press, and editor, Fortress Press.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86446_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ANGLICAN COMMUNION: Communiqué from the Anglican-Lutheran International Commission http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86443_ENG_HTM.htm

KENYA: Church leaders want action against violent Mungiki group http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86374_ENG_HTM.htm

NIGERIA: Christian Association honors outgoing President Olusegun Obasanjo http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86444_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

Since You Asked about demographics

By Alfred Price

[Episcopal Life] "I don't believe we have any information about the demographics of our church -- about the ethnic, racial, gender or age composition of our membership. Should we? And if so, how should we get it?"

The church should know that this observer is correct. Unlike other major denominations (the Lutherans, for example), we do not have, nor do we regularly gather, useful and reliable demographic data on the composition of The Episcopal Church. To the question "Do we need such data?" the answer is a resounding, "Yes."

Veterans of General Convention may recall that as long ago as the year 2000 the House of Deputies Committee on the State of the Church (SOTC) was recommending that a formal census be taken to facilitate planning efforts such as 20/20, among others.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_86433_ENG_HTM.htm