From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Multimedia: A conversation with U.N. Observer Hellen Wangusa / Catalyst: The Transformation of

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:43:10 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Friday, June 1, 2007. The Church calendar remembers Justin, martyr at Rome (c.100-167).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1985, the Rt. Rev. A. Donald Davies, bishop of the Diocese of Dallas from 1970-1982 and the first bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth, became bishop for the Convocation of American Churches in Europe.

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

A conversation about democracy and hope with U.N Observer Hellen Wangusa

By Neva Rae Fox

[ENS] Hellen Grace Akwii Wangusa has dedicated years of her life to helping the world become a better place.

Wangusa understands firsthand the potential impact of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), having served as the United Nations Africa coordinator of the MDGs.

Mostly, Wangusa is deeply proud of her Anglican heritage and recognizes how her beliefs in living out the Gospel can help shape decision-making on the global front.

Wangusa's journey has brought her to her new position as the Anglican Observer at the United Nations. In this role, she is the personal representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury and works closely with the Primates of the 38 provinces in the worldwide Anglican Communion.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86459_ENG_HTM.htm

A multimedia interview with Wangusa is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm.

Catalyst: "The Transformation of Desire: How Desire Became Corrupted - and How We Can Reclaim It" from Orbis Books, by Diarmuid O'Murchu, 200 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $18

[Source: Orbis Books] What is most basic, most fundamental, to our existence? What makes us human? Desire. Our longings and yearnings, our goals and ambitions, our hunger to love and to be loved-all are expressions of our capacity for desire. Desire gives us direction and purpose. Desire nourishes our hopes and sustains our every endeavor.

Yet our capacity for desire is being crushed. The false promises of consumerism, the inequalities and deep-rooted injustices of the global economy, the shallowness and complacency of institutional religion have distorted our capacity to desire. This extraordinary new book by Diarmuid O'Murchu, the internationally-renowned speaker and writer, shows how we can reclaim and recover our intuitive wisdom and outgrow the propaganda that has controlled our lives and our hearts for far too long. It shows how we can reclaim the inner resources through which, once more, we can learn to live with integrity, meaning and joy.

Diarmuid O'Murchu has been a member of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart for the past thirty years. A priest and social psychologist, he has worked in five continents. His seminal works include Quantum Theology; Evolutionary Faith; Poverty, Celibacy and Obedience; and Consecrated Religious Life..

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org